What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

P5Q Pro Question - PCI-E slots

anthonee1230

Okay so I've gotten the P5Q Pro some of you might already know about.

I understand that because it has 2x PCI-E slots, if I use both in a CF configuration, bandwidth will be halved such that each slot is a PCI-E x8. And if I use ONE card, then the bandwidth will be the full x16.

Now if I only put one card in the SECOND PCI-E x16 slot, will it still run at x16? Or does that only apply if I put my video card in the FIRST PCI-E x16?

Mr. Gruntsworthy

If both slots are rated x16, then yes, it will run at x16. I'm reasonably sure, anyways. May I inquire though, as to why you need to use the second of the two slots?

The MAX

Yeah I believe the second slot may not be full 16x. It should say in the manual.
I have this board, I just don't remember.

sswilson

Staff member
I looked through the manual, and the only reference I could find was one stating "with a single video card, use the first slot for best performance".

Based solely on that, I'd guess that the second slot will only operate at 8X speeds, but I'd have to dig deeper into the P45 spec to give more than just a guess.

anthonee1230

How would I check if it were running at the full x16 bandwidth or the x8?

I would assume just run a 3DMark Vantage test and compare scores?

EDIT: Nevermind, the black slot will run at x8. Just checked the ASUS website and here's what it says for future reference:

Expansion Slots
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, support ATI CrossFireX™ technology at x8 link
(PCIe x16_1 blue, PCIe x16_2 black*)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
2 x PCI slots
*PCI Express x16_2 slot (black at max. x8 link)

lemonlime

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe with a single card installed, it'll operate in a 16X/4X mode. With two cards installed, it'll definitely operate 8X/8X.

Latest posts

Twitter