What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

p67 ud4 vs ud5

jibz

Hey guys,

I'm considering moving to sandy bridge and I was wondering if the few extra features of the ud5 are worth the extra $30.

In particular would the 8 more phases help in overclocking a 2600k under a nh-d14.

UD5 over the UD4:
- 1 more internal USB3.0 header
- 2 more USB3.0 ports on the back
- 1 internal 1394a header
- 2 1394 ports on the back
- Onboard power/reset button
- 8 more phases
- PCIE x4 slot
- heatsinks are attached to mobo with screws instead of push pins
- "NF200" heatsink

~Jibz

spikexp

8 more phases will do nothing more for the overclocking. Really.
For the rest, do you want to pay 30$ for these feature, for me:
- more USB3 / Like I care.
- 1394 header/ports / Don't need it, no matter what I do.
- Onboard power/reset button / A screwdriver can do the same thing.
- 8 more phases / no need
- PCIE x4 slot / If you want to do a tri-sli-crossfire, but I think 2 card is already more than enough for me and the p8p67 pro already offer it.
- Heatsinks attached / I'm not sure I even know what it do.
- NF200 heatsink / I don't know what to think about it.

But it's up to you.

_dangtx_

Banned
well you get more lanes....and the sinks make better contact so overtime theres no screwage unless the screws untighten...:)

for multiple cards yeah, of course. single card? meh

Delavan

NF200 heatsink / I don't know what to think about it.
Is there a NF200 on the UD5? I thought there was nothing under that sink...
On the UD7 there is...
anyway...the whole phase thing...I'm very skeptical...see, the MSI P67A Gd65 doesn't have as many phases and OCs really good. Also, the Intel DP67BG BURRAGE is also short on phases...

I think that THIS ROUND, the extra phases might be just marketing gimmick...

ud5.png

Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 Discussion Thread - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums

ud7.png

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
probably very right as sb doesnt care much about the mobo its in, as long as the base is solid.

although when you start pumping in voltage by the truck, that might change

spikexp

12+2 (p8p67, UD4, MSI GD65) is more than enough for a SB, More is just for the showup.

hwguru

no there is no NF200 on the UD5 but it does have the heatsink.

The extra phases have always been a gimmick if you think about it that way. other than the fact that the extra phases help stabilize the voltage when going for high clocks and that they can put out more amps more efficiently then yea you can call it a gimmick. as the power output increases from the Driver MOSFETs the efficiency decreases and temperature increase. Also the fact that the extra phases are better for stability on the long run yea then its also a gimmick. The truth is no platform needs 12phases let alone 24 phases or 20 to operate and Overclock. The amount of strain put on the phases is a different story, in the long run a board with more phases will be able to handle higher voltages much better. Transient response is not affected by the extra phases because of the fact that the PWM on all GB P67 board is a 6 channel PWM so on the UD7 you have 4 phases per channel, and on the UD4/ud3/ud3r/ud3p you have 2. Also the UD7 has 24 phases for the cpu(vcc/vcore) and 4 other phases for the cpu uncore(now its actually called system agent)(system agent voltage(vccsa) and vccio(qpi/vtt). The uncore power on the UD5 and UD7 is powered by a second PWM a two channel one that is doubled up to 4 phases. You pay for what you get. on teh UD5 i believe you have 20 for vcc and 4 extra for uncore as right next to the NF200 heatsink on the UD7 that small 4 phases vrm lies, its also there on the UD5 but there is no NF200.

One other thing MSI boards use renesas driver MOSFETs now, their power output is 40amps which is very good, the ones on all gigabyte boards with driver MOSFETs are made by vishay and they output 35amps continuously, so the phases on the UD4 and the MSI boards all basically equal in performance as far as switching frequency goes as well.

I would just go with the UD4 if you don't plan on SLI. 3 way SLI i would go with the UD7 it has some excellent SLI performance, the NF200's latency issues don't really come into play because of the quickness of the internal PCI-E controller opposed to external on on the X58 IOH.

The UD4 also only has one option for LLC, the UD5 and UD7 have two levels, level1 and level2.

jibz

I guess it would help to mention that I will be migrating two gtx 460s 1gb @ 920mhz in it. As I didn't think running x8 and x8 would be an issue on the ud4 or ud5.

Delavan

The extra phases have always been a gimmick if you think about it that way. other than the fact that the extra phases help stabilize the voltage when going for high clocks and that they can put out more amps more efficiently then yea you can call it a gimmick. as the power output increases from the Driver MOSFETs the efficiency decreases and temperature increase. Also the fact that the extra phases are better for stability on the long run yea then its also a gimmick.

Ouf...HWGuru, not too sure about REAL point of view on this...you bring pretty good reasons for NOt calling extra phases gimmicks! Being sarcastic maybe?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying a P67 in the next few weeks, along with a 2600K and I will OC...I'm looking at 4.6GHZ to 4.8GHZ on NH-D14 (if the chip lets me lol)...

So, If I need a $250 board instead of a $179 one I'll get it.

My options:

Asus P67P8 Pro (they really have to sort themselves out)
Giga UD4 (not a lot of issues it seems)
MSI GD65 (very few issues but lower sales I guess, so hard to compare)
Intel DP67BG (seems really good for some reason)

That Intel board (I NEVER bought an Intel board before) seems to hit the sweet spot...

Latest posts