What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pagefile.sys way too huge

Mayoo

Hey guys,

I'm trying to free up space and the biggest file that came up from windirstat is pagefile.sys. It is at 16GB (roughly). The thing is, I current have 16GB of DDR3. Why is windows using so much pagefile when I clearly have too much for my needs (I game, that's it)?

Should I disable the pagefile completely?

MARSTG

Because you allow it. Over 8GB of ram and Windows 7 there are little known situations where you will need a pagefile. Just disable it. At 4GB things might be different but 8GB and over is not really needed.

jalmir

You can make it smaller or disable it if you really want;

Win+R
type "sysdm.cpl"
Go in the Advanced tab
Under "Performance" click on "Settings"
Go to the Advanced tab
Under "Virtual memory" click "Change"
Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file ..."

Go ham!

Don't forget to click "Set" when changing or disabling the pagefile for one drive!

Shadowmeph

try it with it disabled if you get crashes then enable it and maybe move it to a separate drive

MARSTG

You can also make it a fixed size, setting the same value for min and max. You need to reboot after clicking on Set for the change to be in effect.

tordogs

Windows automatically sets the page file equal to the amount of ram in the system and maybe more--don't ask me why. Some of my first SSDs were small and didn't want to sacrifice the storage to pagefile. As others mentioned, you can set it to a custom size which is what I do--it is limited to 1 or 2 gigs. There is always the question if the pagefile is really needed so to be safe I let it have a couple of gigs to be satisfied. I'm on W7 and don't know if it still does that with the newer versions--haven't checked in Windows 10 but I need to.

Rison

I typically have it set to start at 0 and max 4096. I could care less about crash dumps, I routinely save my work if I'm doing anything important. That's on a 4-8G system. Anything over 8G I disable.

If you have a smaller SSD, say - 64G or whatever, this makes a big difference.

Second to that is disabling hibernate, so you don't have a hiberfil.sys.
that's just 'powercfg -h off' at a command prompt.

AkG

Crashdumps + whoCrashed can help you track down a gremlin mate. Personally I would move it off the OS and stick on another drive and call it good enough. Hard set it to RAM or 2X RAM size.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter