What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Paint anodized aluminum

clshades

I haven't decided if I'm going to bondo the sides of my cosmos and paint it or just paint it. From what I understand there isn't much prep to painting anodized aluminum other than cleaning it good. Has anyone done this? Any input or caveats to watch out for? What is the best type of paint?

I could probably get the company that painted my car to do this better than me and I don't imagine they would charge that much either.

What do yas think?

dustin1706

Like you said, the critical part is cleaning the anodized surfaces very well. Anodizing is porous which is why it can be stained by just touching it with bare hands unless it has a sealer over top.

I recommend cleaning it with a proper paint prep degreaser/dewaxer, then scuff it a bit with a red scotchbrite pad, then give it a light coat of a self etching primer, then a few light coats of enamel paint. I've always had good luck with Dupli-Color.

To do a good job you will probably have to dismantle the entire case. Not a job for the faint of heart.

KaptCrunch

can check POWDER COATING around Calgary an see if worth doing

note: some etching chemicals are costly and messy hazard

other need to remove rivets by size of rivet shank same size as drill or grind/cut off with dremel ..masking off area to protect surface if slip with dremel and a punch to knock out rivet once head is off

Last edited:

clshades

Thanks Kapt but i'm not interested in powder coating I am strictly wanting to paint the outside of the case for the moment... it's showing it's age and I want to clean it up a bit and theme it more toward the interior.

Thanks Dustin I will look into some of that stuff... do you think light steel wool would work better than plastic type scotchbrite? The aluminum in question is a rough surface almost like sand paper itself heh.
I assuming a spray type enamel? Would an automovtive paint like they sell at canadian tire work?

dustin1706

Steel wool will actually work faster, you just need to pay more attention to the direction you are rubbing so as to not leave sanding marks. Not a problem if you are painting a rough-ish surface or willing to paint a few layers. Use #00 gauge steel wool or even #000. My personal preference is towards red Scotchbrite as it seems to be just rough enough to promote paint adhesion, but doesn't leave sanding marks.

Yeah, just your typical automotive enamel in rattlecans. If you will be painting any bare aluminum, you will need to sand it "shiny" and use some self etching primer.

Grease and Wax Remover | Canadian Tire
Dupli-Color Paint, 340g | Canadian Tire

Latest posts