What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Paper washer or no paper washer?

steveland

I just received my Antec 300 case and my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R board, but neither of them came with the red paper washers..

Then I was lead to this site:
[link removed]

which mentions:
One of the most common mistakes while installing a motherboard is using these washers on all holes. This cannot be done. The metalized holes were metalized to make the proper grounding with the system case. Actually, you probably won't find any non-metalized holes on motherboards nowadays. And if you do, almost always they don't match any hole on the chassis anyway. So, just leave these cartonboard washers behind! Don't use them!
So I was wondering if I need them or not for my motherboard?

sswilson

Staff member
I haven't used a washer on a motherboard standoff in over 5 years.... you don't need them. OTOH, if a third party add-on (like a heatsink) comes with them... make sure you use them.

Welcome to the forums BTW!!!

Cheator

Website
seriesoftubes.ca
I haven't used a washer on a motherboard standoff in over 5 years.... you don't need them. OTOH, if a third party add-on (like a heatsink) comes with them... make sure you use them.

Ditto. I'd go with what sswilson's saying. There isn't much of a need for them now that most motherboards have built in protection.

enaberif

Motherboards no longer need them as you can see from the pics that there is small metal bumps on both sides of the holes which is what the paper washers were once for.

steveland

Thanks for the help guys!! :biggrin:

I haven't built a PC since 2000 so I was freaking out a bit. I posted the same question on HardForum.. lol

I'm glad to see tech has evolved past paper washers! :haha:

This is what I received this morning (from DirectCanada)

:thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
All you people with your fancy new P45 chipsets, and 260 / 4870 vid cards are making my credit card finger itchy...... :ph34r:

Have fun with the build. Looks like some quality components you've got going.

steveland

All you people with your fancy new P45 chipsets, and 260 / 4870 vid cards are making my credit card finger itchy...... :ph34r:

Have fun with the build. Looks like some quality components you've got going.
Hehe I've been stuck with a 3800 X2 s939 PC for a while now..
Upgraded from a 6600GT to a 8800GT when that came out, but still felt somewhat bottleneck'ed when playing games at 1920x1080.. I felt it was the right time. Got a decent price for it at DirectCanada:

Case: Antec Three Hundred - [$46]
PSU: Corsair TX750W - [$92] (after mail-in rebate)
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R - [$119] (after mir)
CPU: E8400 - [$170] (couple days after I got this, it's on Dell days of deals for $150.. lol)
RAM: OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-15 - [$75] (after mir)
Video: Evga Gtx 260 Superclocked 602MHZ 896MB 2.052GHZ - [$240] (after mir)
DVD: Samsung SH-S223F - [$28]
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB - [$76]
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - [$20]
Thermal: OCZ Freeze - [$5]

Total: $870

Free ground shipping and no PST since I'm out of BC. Good stuff.

Twitter