What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Parallel to USB cable question

Dunc

I have an Asus P8Z68/i7 combo running Win 7 Pro with SP1 & all updates current.

I have attached an HP LaserJet 6mp printer using the cable. System works well but...
Usually I power up the system with the printer turned off. I will power up the printer only when I need it.
With the system powered (but not the printer) when I power up the printer I must unplug & reinsert the usb connector into the computer to get the printer recognized. Otherwise, it just saits there & doesn't acknowledge receiving any data.

How do I set it up to have the printer "online" as it were whenever power is applied without the hiccup of unplugging/replugging the cable each time?

Is the only solution to power up the printer at system boot?

Edit: the printer runs without this hassle if it is connected to the system with a parallel cable & expansion card. I need the available pci slot, if possible, for another card.

KaptCrunch

32 bit or 64 bit OS, a Parallel Port PCI card won't do it for is disabled by win7 need to use USB IEEE1284 adapter/port or check your system devices for 1284, make sure printer USB drivers are loaded

Last edited:

Dunc

Hi

KaptCrunch:

I am using a cable like you have pictured. It does work but I have to turn the printer on, allow it to come online, then unplug/replug the usb end to get the system to acknowledge the printer.

Is there a way to get automatic sensing/recognition (ie, I don't have to unplug the cable each time to bring the printer online?

Dunc

update

Fiddled around looking at options: no firmware printer update - LJ 6mp is old, dates from Oct 98 - but prints perfectly, has inexpensive, high capacity toner.

Bought a PCIe parallel card. Works like a charm!

KaptCrunch

oh thanks for the update, thought they disabled that in win7

glad you got it working

Latest posts

Twitter