What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Parallel to USB cable question

Dunc

I have an Asus P8Z68/i7 combo running Win 7 Pro with SP1 & all updates current.

I have attached an HP LaserJet 6mp printer using the cable. System works well but...
Usually I power up the system with the printer turned off. I will power up the printer only when I need it.
With the system powered (but not the printer) when I power up the printer I must unplug & reinsert the usb connector into the computer to get the printer recognized. Otherwise, it just saits there & doesn't acknowledge receiving any data.

How do I set it up to have the printer "online" as it were whenever power is applied without the hiccup of unplugging/replugging the cable each time?

Is the only solution to power up the printer at system boot?

Edit: the printer runs without this hassle if it is connected to the system with a parallel cable & expansion card. I need the available pci slot, if possible, for another card.

KaptCrunch

32 bit or 64 bit OS, a Parallel Port PCI card won't do it for is disabled by win7 need to use USB IEEE1284 adapter/port or check your system devices for 1284, make sure printer USB drivers are loaded

Last edited:

Dunc

Hi

KaptCrunch:

I am using a cable like you have pictured. It does work but I have to turn the printer on, allow it to come online, then unplug/replug the usb end to get the system to acknowledge the printer.

Is there a way to get automatic sensing/recognition (ie, I don't have to unplug the cable each time to bring the printer online?

Dunc

update

Fiddled around looking at options: no firmware printer update - LJ 6mp is old, dates from Oct 98 - but prints perfectly, has inexpensive, high capacity toner.

Bought a PCIe parallel card. Works like a charm!

KaptCrunch

oh thanks for the update, thought they disabled that in win7

glad you got it working

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter