What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Partitions and Linux

enaberif

If you have both drives connected boot up the ubuntu CD and run the installer, it should be able to automatically partition the drive for you and set up the bootloader. You might want to read a few installation guides just to get a feel for the process.

Also, if you're looking to learn about linux after you've got everything set up here's a few good sources: the ubuntu forums, people are really helpful there, the ubuntu wiki, and this podcast: Linux Reality Podcast. The podcast is no longer produced, but I found it to be a great way to learn about linux when I was starting out. The 100 episodes cover a wide variety of topics, from very basic things like useful applications and simple command line work all the way up to advanced topics like setting up a web server; I've been dual-booting linux for four years and I still refer back to episodes from this podcast. In fact, there's probably an episode about installing Ubuntu. :thumb:

auto partition is bad.

It will setup like a 1-2+gb partition for swap which is ABSOLUTELY necessary. With computers today having 2-4gb of memory standard you only need like a 512mb swap if not even needing one at all.

Best to dedicate all but say 512mb of space for the linux partition and the rest for swap.

Install VMware on your Vista box, install any Linux into virtual machine.
Have fun.
Partitions are so-o-o-o last century. Virtualization is all the rage now.

enaberif

Install VMware on your Vista box, install any Linux into virtual machine.
Have fun.
Partitions are so-o-o-o last century. Virtualization is all the rage now.

No Virtualization is the rage to test a OS or see if you like it. You don't get the speed benefits from running a OS inside a VM like you do outside.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
If you're looking to play with Linux, I recommend the WUBI install. It installs a bootable Linux OS on your current partition. It creates a large file in your current partition (you set the size) and pretends that is a partition to Linux (similar to a Virtual Machine). Don't like it? Uninstall from Control Panel.

Since you're using Vista, use the disk manager to resize your partition if you're interested in a full install, or go ahead and use your second drive. Although enaberif doesn't like the auto-partition install, it does work just fine. I've done it about 7 times now. And I've used the Vista re-size partition about 4 times without any data loss. Back your stuff up first.

HalifaxJ

With virtualization, does it still use the resources to run Vista AND Linux? I'm interested in learning Linux for long term use. For now, since it has nothing compatible with Autodesk (the whole suite) and 3Dsmax 2009, I'll stick to my MS OS for work and production.

Although I know it won't happen any time soon, I would hope that software developers would make their products available on Linux kernels...increased sales doesn't seem to mean much in the criminal deals that the various corps have with one another, so for now Adobe isn't even considering Linux (MS loyalty). So much for competition...

J

Matt

Yes, virtualization will use your resources for both OSes at once. On the other hand, it's a good way to test out new operating systems if you are unsure. You also might want to look into a program called wine; it lets you run windows applications within linux. Not everything is compatible, you can check compatibility at http://appdb.winehq.com

KeepSix

A couple of things not mentioned yet: Vista likes to be first on the HDD in dual-boots. Another:If you pop in a fresh new drive, the Ubuntu installer will assume that's where you want it (sweet!)
And finally: here's an excellent reference guide for linux n00bs--> Download - Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference

:thumb: