What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

pause and think before you install use Edge on Chromium

Lysrin

My immediate question was "but how does that compare to other browsers?" They do answer that in the article:

"That total of 130 requests made by Edge compares to 26 for Firefox, 32 for Google Chrome, 23 made by Brave, and 31 by Vivaldi. Only Opera approaches Microsoft Edge for the number of calls it makes, including 19 calls just to Yandex.ru, the Russian search giant, as well as Amazon, Google, and Walmart."

Izerous

Folding Team
One odd thing is that the NUMBER of calls is mostly irrelevant.

1 call
narf.com?qid=007&name=pinky&friend=brain

2 calls
narf.com?qid=007&name=pinky
narf.com?qid=007&friend=brain

Same amount of data has been sent, same tracking has occured but different number of calls have occured. So the number doesn't really tell the whole story of what is going on.

And Beta/Trail softwareI'd expect to send piles more data than the release version. Quite often there are known bugs but not knowing how they happen you log everything in the beginning and back of on things that are working.

Entz

Yikes... I guess its simple to just add it to pihole.

I guess I will be one of those people.. Why are you installing Edge at ALL...

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
ahhh...

I don't give a rats arse about most of that...I ignore it. I get a real laugh off AdBlock or whatever I have turned on in Firefox. add's pop up on my YouTube videos and they're transparent but for the borders and the X in the upper right corner. you're still seeing the video without much being blocked. hee hee!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
pi-hole best hole.

This article really seems like FUD. Everyone is tracking you in some way shape or form. You can take steps to minimize it, but Data Tracking is the new monetizing stream. The internet isnt free to run, if you're getting 'free' service, I can guarantee you're giving up your data to someone in exchange.

JD

Staff member
The article also seems to totally miss the fact that it is a BETA browser and you accept the terms when you install it. That includes additional monitoring/tracking/reporting to detect issues. Don't be a beta tester if you don't want to be tracked...

Latest posts