What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pc bottleknecking???

sswilson

Staff member
In real life use, FORGET STUPID SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS, the AMD64 X2 does NOT bottleneck the 8800GTS. Anyone that says that and bases it solely on 3D Mark scores should really rethink how they rate hardware. What WILL bottleneck that card with the X2 is running a low resolution under 1280X1024. Then, almost ANY CPU would bottleneck. If you have the 8800 and don't run atleast 1280X1024, you will never, with ANY CPU, ease the bottleneck.

OI am sorry for sounding harsh, but the constant drivel about C2D is just annoying. of course it is faster and outbenchmarks the AM2 by a good amount. BUT, in real life use which cannot be measured with synthetic benchmarks, the difference is unnoticeable. I have owned 3 C2D systems and I am on my 2nd AM2. In games and every other real world everyday task I see next to no difference from my Conroes @ 3.2GHz compared to my AM2 @ 3.2GHz. My benchmark scores are sure different, but as I said, in REAL WORLD use there is little to no difference.

3D Mark and every other synthetic benchmark is useless to tell you how your PC will game. There are a few actual game benchmarks out there that can tell you a helluva lot more about your performance. Try the HL2 benchmarks for one. Also remember. It's all about the minimum FPS, not the maximum. It does not matter if your PC can do a max of 200FPS+ if the minimums drop below 30FPS. My PC plays everything on high settings or higher and never drops below 30FPS in ANY game @ 1680X1050 resloution with AA and AF cranked. That is at 2.88GHz as well. So anyone stating the X2 is the bottleneck is wrong. Period.

The suggestions on bottlenecking weren't that his "X2" was the culprit, it was that his 3800 was the bottleneck.

From there, because he was running S939 he needed a full upgrade to get past that particular bottleneck, and like it or not, the best bang for the buck currently is C2D.

If he had already been running an AM2 system, I would have suggested that he'd see a good boost by dropping some coin on a higher end AM2 chip, that wasn't an option.

If AM2 was a better price point you'd see a lot more recommendations for it, unfortunately with AM2 & C2D priced similarly, why would a person pick up an AM2 system over C2D?

Babrbarossa

If he had already been running an AM2 system, I would have suggested that he'd see a good boost by dropping some coin on a higher end AM2 chip, that wasn't an option.

If AM2 was a better price point you'd see a lot more recommendations for it, unfortunately with AM2 & C2D priced similarly, why would a person pick up an AM2 system over C2D?

:thumb:

smoked

Hi, Im new to this whole forum thing but ya. Anyways.

My Pc is some cisnet thing. So I decided to add some new hardware to it.

First I bought a ATI Radeon x600 Pro. Well that seemed to help over integrated graphics :D.
Next I bought a 512 MB RAM stick DDR pc3200. I now had 1 gig and a graphic card. I was doin ok.

About 8 months later. I save up and I want to really overhaul my pc for gaming. So I bought an XFX Geforce 8800GTS Extreme Edition graphics card and a new coolmaster 550 W PSU. I notice that it barely out performed my radeon.. So I thought its gotta be my ram. So I buy 2 Samsung 1024 MB ddr pc3200 RAM sticks. Throw that in there... Pretty much the same as having 1 gig... So real difference. Lag in most games at 1280X1024. on medium... I'm pretty mad at this point...

Mc PC Specs. AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
3 gigs of ram
XFX Geforce 8800GTS Extreme Edition
Coolmaster 550W PSU
Motherboard is some MSI piece of crap
have dvd burner and rom drives.
logitech g11
razer death adder mouse

I've asked a few friends and after running 3d Mark 06. I think it's my motherboard. and/or processors. All of my ram is 400MhZ Compatible. According to 3dMark its running at 333 MhZ. I have tried just using the 2 1024 Mb sticks without the 2 512's to see if there is any difference. No, there wasn't. My hard drive should be fine since I only got my pc back a few months ago from cisnet because the HD died apparently. I am pretty sure its this MSI Motherboard and processors limiting my Video card and RAM. Unless someone else can think of why its doing it :canadianwave:

P.S. Another thing I noticed is that my video card runs hot. I was wondering if it was due to my case coolings. Pretty crappy no real air flow. Was looking at Antec Nine Hundred case. Any thoughts on that :biggrin:

upgrade to e4300 or higher and a P5B maybe or DS3,

Jmac

In real life use, FORGET STUPID SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS, the AMD64 X2 does NOT bottleneck the 8800GTS. Anyone that says that and bases it solely on 3D Mark scores should really rethink how they rate hardware. What WILL bottleneck that card with the X2 is running a low resolution under 1280X1024. Then, almost ANY CPU would bottleneck. If you have the 8800 and don't run atleast 1280X1024, you will never, with ANY CPU, ease the bottleneck.

OI am sorry for sounding harsh, but the constant drivel about C2D is just annoying. of course it is faster and outbenchmarks the AM2 by a good amount. BUT, in real life use which cannot be measured with synthetic benchmarks, the difference is unnoticeable. I have owned 3 C2D systems and I am on my 2nd AM2. In games and every other real world everyday task I see next to no difference from my Conroes @ 3.2GHz compared to my AM2 @ 3.2GHz. My benchmark scores are sure different, but as I said, in REAL WORLD use there is little to no difference.

3D Mark and every other synthetic benchmark is useless to tell you how your PC will game. There are a few actual game benchmarks out there that can tell you a helluva lot more about your performance. Try the HL2 benchmarks for one. Also remember. It's all about the minimum FPS, not the maximum. It does not matter if your PC can do a max of 200FPS+ if the minimums drop below 30FPS. My PC plays everything on high settings or higher and never drops below 30FPS in ANY game @ 1680X1050 resloution with AA and AF cranked. That is at 2.88GHz as well. So anyone stating the X2 is the bottleneck is wrong. Period.
The Athlon64 X2 3800+ is a bottleneck ... I've built tons of other systems with the 8800 GTS combined with faster CPUs and they all run higher framerates (including minimum) on the same settings in the real world ...

So I'm going to have to say you're wrong ...

Fake2591

Ok, I am 99% done building my custom pc. So far I am just awaiting my gaming RAM. Isntead of this crappy ddr2 667 gig stick. BUT.

Who ever guessed it was my processor or motherboard. You were right. I bought a nice XFX nForce 650i Ultra + Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. BAM My game play is where it should be. High FPS. No lag. Except at some bigger resolutions. But I'm almost sure its the ram. Heres my Rig so far.

XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Not overclocker but would like to, if I knew :D )
Antec Gamer Nine Hundred Case. (Added Extra fans, Cause the LED's are cool)
XFX nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS *** Edition
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
Razor DeathAdder Mouse
Cool Master 550W PSU
Patriot Extreme 2 X 1 Gig DDR2-800 (on its way)
Seagate Barracuda 500gig Sata-2 (Not working lol)
Stock DVD Burner from old pc. (Alite I think )

Seems to be running good. Just need a little help which I will post in another thread. Cause its off topic from this one.:clap:

Gamashinoch

Going by one benchmark to find a bottleneck isn't the way to do it. Especially a videocard benchmark to see if RAM is your bottleneck.

that system is literally MY system. And it isn't somethin' to cough at in my opinion. I can play WoW at 1440x900 everything maxed, even it's FSAA/Anisotropy settings in game. Half-Life 2 same difference. CnC3 everything is maxed in game except the FSAA, it's two "ticks" under the max.

3800X2's are known for at least being able to overclock to 2200MHz with no voltage/cooler changes. It's what mines at right now.

the only "bottleneck" there is what affects your overclock. In my case it's my RAM/mobo. I have cheapie RAM, corsair value select and Kingston Value. My motherboard only has ratios for the buses too. Meaning, I can't lock my RAM at 200MHz and up my CPU bus.

Last edited:

Gamashinoch

Ok, I am 99% done building my custom pc. So far I am just awaiting my gaming RAM. Isntead of this crappy ddr2 667 gig stick. BUT.

Who ever guessed it was my processor or motherboard. You were right. I bought a nice XFX nForce 650i Ultra + Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. BAM My game play is where it should be. High FPS. No lag. Except at some bigger resolutions. But I'm almost sure its the ram. Heres my Rig so far.

XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Not overclocker but would like to, if I knew :D )
Antec Gamer Nine Hundred Case. (Added Extra fans, Cause the LED's are cool)
XFX nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS *** Edition
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
Razor DeathAdder Mouse
Cool Master 550W PSU
Patriot Extreme 2 X 1 Gig DDR2-800 (on its way)
Seagate Barracuda 500gig Sata-2 (Not working lol)
Stock DVD Burner from old pc. (Alite I think )

Seems to be running good. Just need a little help which I will post in another thread. Cause its off topic from this one.:clap:
Who'd of thought there'd be a difference between a stock 3800 and a 6600 Core2? Of course there is. If i'd had the money that would of been part of my upgrade when I did.

Latest posts