What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC build and help needed

Trickster86

Hello there fellow humans :),

I am looking to do a PC upgrade/build and I desperately need your opinion and help. Current parts that I own:

1. Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 LG1151
2. I7 8770K
3. GForce GTX 970 - MSI --> this I desperately want to replace and I am inclining towards an RTX 2070 Super Asus Strix O8G or Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super. Any advices here ?
4. CPU cooler NH-D14 - is it worth replacing this with a Corsair H100i water cooler ?
5. Case - looking to replace my current case (thermaltake overseer) with a newer much better airflow one. Budget isn't of importance as long as I get a good recommendation
6. PSU - I currently own a Seasonic 80+ Gold certification 620 W. I definately need to replace this if I'm gonna switch to an RTX as I am not sure if there is sufficient power and some left to connect other stuff. Any advice here ? :)

Thanks and appreciate your help :)

Bond007

Below are my thoughts on your points (respectivly):
3 - your graphics card is definitely a bottleneck. If you can hang in a bit longer, new graphics cards are on the horizon. If you can’t, a 2070 super would be a great choice.

4 - depending on what AIO you swap to you may get the same to slightly better temps at the same to higher noise. Personally I would stick with the d14.

5 - do you want a glass panel? Rgb? Bold vs understated? p400a, meshify c, cooler master h500 mesh are a few options.

6- 620w PSU is fine. How old is it though?

Lysrin

Agree with @Bond007 input.

He's telling you to wait on the graphics card because the NVIDIA 3000 series is coming this year. That will provide new card options and may affect pricing of the 2000 series cards.

You didn't mention what you use the PC for. If it's a gaming PC, the resolution you are planning to run games at has a big impact on the graphics card choice.

Additional case, the new Lian Li Lancool II MESH just reviewed by Hardware Canucks seems a nice high airflow option. Not sure of the price or availability at this point:

You didn't mention budget as a concern, so if that's true you have lots of options! :)

Trickster86

Well guys, thanks so much for the prompt answers. As far as it goes for waiting I definately can wait. 2000 series are becoming scarce where I live and very expensive. Not sure if it is related to new 3000 series coming or due to pandemy issues about suppliers and manufacturers having issues. The psu i have is already 6 years old. I definately need to change this as well but seems to be a problem there too. Stock is out for most of 850W psu (at least the premium ones). For example a Corsair AX1000 sells for about 350euros in my country. Definately a lot....

I am using my PC for gaming. Planning to game at least 1080p. The case above mentioned cannot be found in Romania where i reside so seems not be an option. So i at least wanna buy a new case and a psu to prepare. Budget wise, maximum 250 euro for a psu and 250 euro for a case.

Bond007

650-750 watt power supply is what I would go for with a single high end graphics card. 650 is absolutely fine, but 750 if you like to oversize a bit, or find a good deal.

what country are you in? For us to look at pricing.

moocow

I would keep using Seasonic but higher power one. Upgrade the GPU first and see if that improves your gaming situation and if it doesn't then wait for Zen 3 / 4xxx series. The Lan Cool II Mesh case just came out and I doubt you will see it any time soon.