What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Games like Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64

bojangles

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a N64 with the games listed above because I love them to death. However, when I'm not at home I'd like to play something on the PC from time to time.

Are there any adventure games like the ones mentioned where I don't have to kill anyone in a violent way? All I want to do is solve puzzles, jump on a baddie's head, collect coins/bananas/what have you and do some crazy jumps here and there.

Anything out there for PC?

headsh0t

Cave Story, Spelunky, Fez, Toki Tori, SuperBrothers: Swords and Sorcery, Braid, LIMBO, Dead Light, Mark of the Ninja, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Super Meat Boy, EDGE, VVVVVV, Trine 1 & 2, Psychonauts, Stacking.

Some are more than just platformers and some involve killing stuff, etc. None are really too similar to SM64 tho... Also, like mentioned above - emulators. Dolphin Emulator does both Gamecube and Wii games I believe.

Caldezar

N64 emulator.

Agreed. The best games of this style are console based. Getting an emulator and playing games that way is your best option. Although the N64 controller doesn't translate quite as well to any USB controller that I'm aware of. Not at all like the NES/SNES ones you can get that are very well made.

If you're on the road a lot and need something mobile, I suggest grabbing a DS or 3DS as lots of the good N64 games have been ported over and you can get them very cheap now. They last longer for battery life, lighter, more convenient...

Alternatively, there's some decent portable ROM players available for purchase as well.
Amazon.com: dingoo a320

*EDIT*
The Trine games are pretty sweet if you have a decent laptop to play them on.

*EDIT2*
How do you not have 'Zelda: Ocarina of Time' in your list of N64 games!?

Last edited:

bojangles

Agreed. The best games of this style are console based. Getting an emulator and playing games that way is your best option. Although the N64 controller doesn't translate quite as well to any USB controller that I'm aware of. Not at all like the NES/SNES ones you can get that are very well made.

If you're on the road a lot and need something mobile, I suggest grabbing a DS or 3DS as lots of the good N64 games have been ported over and you can get them very cheap now. They last longer for battery life, lighter, more convenient...

Alternatively, there's some decent portable ROM players available for purchase as well.
Amazon.com: dingoo a320

*EDIT*
The Trine games are pretty sweet if you have a decent laptop to play them on.

*EDIT2*
How do you not have 'Zelda: Ocarina of Time' in your list of N64 games!?
That's what I mean. If I grab a 3DS to play N64 games, doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying new games? Is this genre dead? It didn't last very long...

The genre I'm talking about is having a home world, and getting enough bananas/stars/whathaveyou to get to the next world.

The only recent ones I see are the Mario Galaxies...

WiseWilson

I am playing steamworld dig, and it is a 2d collectothon and having fun so far. To answer your question the genre did actualy die for awhile, I think DK64 was actually blamed for causing the fall. While not out yet A Hat in Time - Quirky 3D Platformer! is comming out next year. It was a kickstarter that wanted 35k and raised 300k. It describes it self as a 3D collect-a-thon platformer in the spirit of the classic Nintendo 64 titles you know and love!. Lobodestroyo is a kickstarter that is not funded yet though it looks like it will get there. Lobodestroyo - Rareware inspired 3D Action Platformer Game by James Guy ? Kickstarter.

I would follow those games as they are the only games that are exactly what you asked for.

Psychonauts has platforming and collecting in it. It is an incredible game and I think you would definitely enjoy it.

Kerry D

I'd add Gianna Sisters (can be found on Steam and GOG) to the list. The original, as I understand it, was a direct ripoff of Super Mario Bros. I'd consider it a hard-ish platformer, but I suck at them. I've also heard that Dustforce is good, but haven't played it myself.

Edit: Also The Maw and Foul Play. Foul Play was a fun button mashing brawler. Often compared to castle crashers.

Last edited:

Latest posts