What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Hardware is Going to be EXPENSIVE in 2021! RX 6700 XT to be Announced Soon.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

Let’s get started with Asus.. and quite honestly what seems to be the future of GPUs. Yesterday, Asus officially announced that they would increase the price on both their Gpu’s and motherboard products. These price changes are taking effect in early 2021 aka right now and apply to the entire lineup of both product stacks.

According to ASUS the reason for the price increase is due to “increases in cost for components. operating costs, and logistical activities plus a continuation of import tariffs.”

So how much did the price increase for their GPUs? Well, the MSRP’s from AMD and Nvidia are being completely ignored. The cheapest RTX 3060ti from Asus is now 499 instead of the 399 MSRP, the 3070’s see a minimum of 599, and the 3080 is at 859.

Now some other manufacturers such as MSI and gigabyte, seem to keep their price intact but I’m willing to bet that its mostly due to the shortage of GPU’s. Not only that, but im pretty sure this will change very soon since the Chinese import tariff exemptions have expired with the new year and unfortunately, we can expect the tariffs to start from 7.5% to 25% So this increase in price will probably affect all PC components, not just GPU’s and Motherboards.

Mr. Friendly

wonder if exemptions will be put in place quickly. if they are, doubt pricing will drop back to what they were before. I expect the mfr or disti to take that as an opp to pad their margins a few points. :p

Bond007

Aren’t the tariffs for the US? Couldn’t shipments come to Canada without going through the US to avoid this?

JD

Staff member
Aren’t the tariffs for the US? Couldn’t shipments come to Canada without going through the US to avoid this?
I've wondered the same, but I don't think we really have any true Canadian distributors/importers? Most stuff goes through the US first?

I'm also wondering if Biden will remove the tariffs since I'm not sure how it benefits the US either. Seems like it will stagnate adoption of new technology in the US.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Yes, they could come direct to Canada if they are not assembled in the US. But the availability right now seems to be coming from US-based e-tailers (Newegg and Bestbuy) who are either paying the tariff or the board partners are when they import the chips / pcb's.

We can hope that the tariffs will be reversed or relaxed after the change in power in the US.

Results45

If LifeHacker is correct, then RTX 3070 & 6800XT SKUs across the board are going to start popping up on eBay for $850, likely up to $1000.

I hate to think myself a scalper, but how is getting $800 on eBay for my 2080 Super not tempting?

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yes, they could come direct to Canada if they are not assembled in the US. But the availability right now seems to be coming from US-based e-tailers (Newegg and Bestbuy) who are either paying the tariff or the board partners are when they import the chips / pcb's.

We can hope that the tariffs will be reversed or relaxed after the change in power in the US.

One of these days our country will learn to start importing itself and save the middle man of US Based Distribution for Canadian based E-tailers/Retailers (for these items).

Heck, if I owned Canada Computers or any of the other Canadian players, I would be working out DC somewhere in Vancouver, maybe through IM. Probably would avoid a lot of these tarriffs.

-ST