What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Power on issue

jgcarolina

Hey guys, so I just got a newly built PC. I got everything in place and ready to power up. When I hit the power button, the lights, fans, etc all come on as if its going to go through the normal power up process. Then, 2 seconds later it all just cuts off. Funny thing is, it will continue to try to boot itself up on its own and the same thing happens, everything comes on for 2 seconds and then cuts off. The only way I can stop that loop is to do a hard power off by holding the power button down. The computer was tested before it was sent to me and everything was in working order. None of the bios or initial start up screens appear on the monitor during this 2 seconds (may not be enough time).

My specs are:

Case: Corsair 650D
CPU: Intel i7-2700K
Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD80
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw Xs 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 (1600mhz) 1.35V *Stock*
GPU: GTX 570 Twin Frozer III (x2) SLI
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata III
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU
Heatsink: Phanteks PH-TC14PE (White)
Fan Controller: Rheosmart 3
Fans: Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fans (x3)

I have 3 monitors, a keyboard, mouse, and a few other usb 2.0 devices plugged in. I figured the 1200W PSU would be more than enough, if not overkill for the system. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Really disappointed that this is happening, just want to use my new PC!!! :censored:

Slik

Sounds to me like a mother board problem. Check all the cables,hardware seating etc. If everything is connected properly,and you still have that problem,then RMA that motherboard. I'm willing to bet it's the MB. Let us know. Good luck!

jgcarolina

Do you think the mobo could have gone bad within 2 days? All the parts are brand new. Everything was booted up and tested 2 days ago. Now this issue has come up. Is there any other issue it could be? Thanks for the fast reply, I just don't wanna have to RMA the mobo (awful process) if I dont have to. Everything seems to be plugged in and working...sorry just frustrated.

clshades

Unplug the power cord wait for 10 seconds and plug it back in again. The computer shouldn't turn on. Turn the power switch on the PSU. The computer still shouldn't come on. If it comes on doing either start the process over again.

Push the power button. Computer should fire normally. If it doesn't... do the ram suggestion above I've had that happen with bad ram configuration on a sabertooth motherboard. Ensure all the ram is seated correctly. Check all the connections.

I had a mobo that did the same thing a while back it always seemed to have a weird miss fire after unplugging/replugging it from the APC backup. The motherboard had an auto reset feature for failed overclocks and it would just continously reboot until I did the steps above.

findanish

Check if there is something shorting the motherboard. Probably the earthing is not proper. Try to take out all the components and keep the motherboard and PSU connected bare on the table and try to switch it on using the screw driver method. Is there any post led code display on the motherboard?