What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pc power switch help

I want to connect a 12v ignition switch panel to my pc as a power switch I want to know how to wire it and is it possible

KaptCrunch

What car is from and have the plug with wires for ign switch.
Note can't do both functions only 1 start or on

sswilson

Staff member
A PC power switch is a two wire momentary on switch. Wiring it in isn't the issue (it's two wires, and in this case direction doesn't matter).

It could conceivably work if you wired it to the "start" position (momentary) but you'd need to use an ohmmeter on the harness with one lead on the ground and then test the rest of the wires to see which one "closes" in the start position.

You could also check it against the vehicle's wiring diagram, but that's going to be model/maker specific.

A PC power switch is a two wire momentary on switch. Wiring it in isn't the issue (it's two wires, and in this case direction doesn't matter).

It could conceivably work if you wired it to the "start" position (momentary) but you'd need to use an ohmmeter on the harness with one lead on the ground and then test the rest of the wires to see which one "closes" in the start position.

You could also check it against the vehicle's wiring diagram, but that's going to be model/maker specific.

Attachments

• 95201478-B131-4534-AC81-A1C75F6430E6.jpeg
    95201478-B131-4534-AC81-A1C75F6430E6.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 8

sswilson

Staff member
Without the wiring diagram it's impossible to tell....

Are both switches in series with each other? If they are it'd be a simple matter of wiring from one side of the toggle switch and the other side of the engine start switch. If they aren't and you don't care if the toggle switch actually affects anything then you could wire to the two sides of the engine start switch which should be a momentary on switch.

sswilson

Staff member
As far as using a basic automotive ignition switch goes.....

If you look at the diagram at the bottom of the second post on that page you'd be connecting to blk-yellow and the first black. (But again... I doubt very much that's an industry standard so you'd have to use an ohmmeter on the wires to confirm which wires close the contacts in the start position).

Without the wiring diagram it's impossible to tell....

Are both switches in series with each other? If they are it'd be a simple matter of wiring from one side of the toggle switch and the other side of the engine start switch. If they aren't and you don't care if the toggle switch actually affects anything then you could wire to the two sides of the engine start switch which should be a momentary on switch.

Attachments

• DFC4B327-67A0-4CD5-B28F-A8C6F8478588.jpeg
    DFC4B327-67A0-4CD5-B28F-A8C6F8478588.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 6

sswilson

Staff member
In that case you'd just wire the motherboard's power switch header to the "engine start" switch and the other wires would be unused. Personally I'd also wire the light to the motherboard's HDD led header (That is directional so if it doesn't work one way , switch them around).

Up to you where you get the wires/connectors from... you can cut them out of the case you're using, or find an old case to harvest the wires from.