What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC restarts instead of shutting down when I select shutdown.

Ernimus Prime

Well, my problem started when I turned off Fast boot in Windows 8.1. Now when I shutdown the PC. It restarts instead. It will shutdown correctly from the logon sreen though. Is this a bug or a setting I missed when I disabled fast boot option?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
That's odd considering most restart / shut-off issues happen with FastBoot ENABLED.

Go into the Win+X menu and select Shut Down from there. That does a full shutdown like Windows 7 and previous. Let's see if that works.

SKYMTL

Staff member
It does but it may also be a setting in your UEFI BIOS.

Ernimus Prime

What setting would it be SKY? I did upgrade the BIOS to the latest ver. on my Maximus IV GENE-Z, and come to mention it. It seems to boot pretty quickly by the splash screen then it did before I updated the BIOS.

SKYMTL

Staff member
It makes me wonder if your APM settings have changed. I'm not sure where they are on that board but check under Advanced and likely something like ErP. In there make sure S4 and S5 are enabled.

Ernimus Prime

UPDATE: Still does it. I think I will reformat and see what that does. I was getting ready boost error in the eventview as well. I think it might be a wonky windows install!!!

Latest posts