What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Router

Cptn Vortex

I've always liked IPCOP for the Windows Update caching. It's VERY similiar to smoothwall, but I find there's more plugins. Either that or I can't find any plugins for Smoothwall...
I am going to give this a try....just gotta get my priorities happening....The box is built and ready to go, but this new WC project has me working overtime trying to get some CAD drawings and planning going on.....

death_hawk

I'm NOT looking forward to WCing...
I got a feeling that my wallet is gonna hate me.

Dashock

lol it frightens me the amount of money i used for watercooling but im done now till my new intel build so i can start saving up for my new car now.

lcdguy

i have tried 3 main linux routers. And here is what i have found.

1. Smoothwall works well, but is the least robust. It's perfect if you have never used one before.

2. IP COP is a little more robust but the interface leaves a lot to be desired for.

3. monowall this one is extreml simplistic and incredible small (only a couplf of megs) How ever it's interface is extremely simplistic. How ever one plus side is it is capable fo connection to a sonicwall vpn appliance while the other 2 can't.

Personally i never liked d-link. If it were me i would get a netgear.

1. Netgear Prosafe
2. D-link
3. Linksys

I have had my netgear running fine for years with no issues. The other feature i love about it is that it auto reboots every day at 4 am.

DaleF

I strongly suggest staying away from Netgear's products. I finally got fed up with them when a the third replacement router didn't work properly. Haven't had much luck with them for clients as well.

lcdguy

I strongly suggest staying away from Netgear's products. I finally got fed up with them when a the third replacement router didn't work properly. Haven't had much luck with them for clients as well.
Which line of netgear products have you tried. If it was the rangemax series. I agree it's pure crap. The prosafe line however are much better.