What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Router

misterd

Myself i use Ipcop ever since I had issues with my ISP telling it was my router.. (lies) Down side to it - is that it's not been updated in a bit - but it's done all i've thrown at it. I've been doing some higher end networking at my new job (BGP / failover) and I've been playing with pFsense for that and it's really growing on me. Harder to get going then IPcop was but more focused on a PC install then smoothwall which IIRC is targeted at booting from a CF card and other embedded type stuff. Good luck with whatever "distro" you decide on - but you'll be happier with the freedom compared to the cheap boxed home routers. you could also get a Cisco 800 series if you want to go hardcore SOHO router. :D

lcdguy

Folding Team
Myself i use Ipcop ever since I had issues with my ISP telling it was my router.. (lies) Down side to it - is that it's not been updated in a bit - but it's done all i've thrown at it. I've been doing some higher end networking at my new job (BGP / failover) and I've been playing with pFsense for that and it's really growing on me. Harder to get going then IPcop was but more focused on a PC install then smoothwall which IIRC is targeted at booting from a CF card and other embedded type stuff. Good luck with whatever "distro" you decide on - but you'll be happier with the freedom compared to the cheap boxed home routers. you could also get a Cisco 800 series if you want to go hardcore SOHO router. :D

If i had a transciever then i would slap in one of my 2500 series router on that baby :)

misterd

If i had a transciever then i would slap in one of my 2500 series router on that baby :)

I don't think i have any spares here or I'd help you out - we have a lot of fibre in & out of this building. Yeah I have a bunch of older 2600 series here, maybe I can borrow our 6509 and use that for a bit. But I live so close (under 250m) I should just run some fibre too.. haha

Tazer-[X]

Well, if you can get a p1, p2, or even a 486, you can handd build a hardware/software router firewall, server all in one day or less.

Ultra fast, secure and stable

Attachments

• 8391665119_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    8391665119_01_LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,184

BrainEater

Or you go totally overkill ........

hehe .... roger that.Here's my pfsense box ;

core93.jpg

p3 coppermine 800
1 GB ram/120 Gb WD hdd
3x intel proMT 1000's
2x dlink g520's
10 channels of hardware temp monitoring

Currently running PFsense 1.2 rc4.

:thumb:

Tazer-[X]

hehe .... roger that.Here's my pfsense box ;

core93.jpg

p3 coppermine 800
1 GB ram/120 Gb WD hdd
3x intel proMT 1000's
2x dlink g520's
10 channels of hardware temp monitoring

Currently running PFsense 1.2 rc4.

Duuude, are you like running a E10 fiber at full duplex with saturation or something?

BrainEater

How are you doing the hardware temperature monitoring?

See all the small twisted yellow/red/black wires ?

Those are 1-wire temp sensors.They feed back to a Matrix Orbital mx222 LCD.

----------

No , no fiber unfortunately......hehe....it probably could tho.

I run LAN parties for my clan , I built this router for that.

It has some interesting capabilities...

It's setup to run using multiple internet sources for failover or BW addition.These can be either the proMT1000's or the g520's.It's also capable of being a subnet router on a larger Gbit network.

misterd

LOL @ the Slocket - i haven't seen one of those badboys in YEAARSSSSSSSS. Nice capable box though for sure. Shame you're running an out of date version of pFsense, go try 1.3 Alpha Alpha :D Are you running some filesharing on it too? Big waste of a HD - get a CF card for OS - then you're hardcore. jk

Latest posts