What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

pc shuts off when trying to plug in portable ssd

gingerbee

it just shits off like the power switch has been flipped but I don't need to turn off pc power to get it to turn back on it just turns back on and since I don't switch between the bigger SSD and smaller sized one with the same cable it stopped doing it

so to recap hard power off and no longer does it if I don't switch SSD with the same cable

edit I just think the SSD is holding some kind of charge and grounding out on the USB housing on the back of the board

gingerbee

Ok so I am back to the same problem and this time I don't have an answer. what I am wondering is if the power supply is grounded properly shouldn't it handle any short that may come from the USB connections. just wondering if I should switch back to my old power supply since this is a brand new Seasonic and these problems don't seem to have a pattern. really just worried I am going to damage my pc

KaptCrunch

Crappy USB cord, socket not terminated correctly or back bezel shorting out socket.

Shuts down means a short or over loaded 5v rail

gingerbee

Ya kinda worried the socket is not terminated properly. do you know if the I/O shield helps with static shock cause I have this board on a text bench lian li T60 just wondering it that why but I have never had this problem before and it only happens on that pc

it's my x570board
3900x
32gb ram

this is why I am so worried about it damaging something. going to buy another type c cable today and thinking about ordering a front panel header. but i thought with the board being plugged into the power supply it would be grounded ( which makes me worried power supply problem )
Not really sure how to solve this problem and never had to deal with something like this before thanks for all the advice from everyone

JD

Staff member
If it's only this portable SSD, stop using it? Or get a new enclosure for it?

Could also try getting a powered USB hub and using that instead?

gingerbee

ya not sure what the deal is I started a pc grounded thread cause I also checked all the way down the line for grounding of said pc and I don't see how it could be the device since it works fine in every other pc I use it in ( 5 in total ) but it seems that even with the USB casing is grounded it still causes a crash ( not blue screen it just shuts off and USB doesn't even get plugged in )

but I have 2 others so think I may get rid of it just want to figure this out. I have 2 of the same portable SSD a 120gb and 500gb I have tested the ground on both cable one is grounded the other isn't, wondering if the one that is not grounded has damaged the 120gb but how could an ssd be turned into capacitor/battery so that it discharges when the grounds touch

Izerous

I/0 shield tang, I've seen them inside USB socket not around it causing issue when plug in USB
I did that once with one shield the metal tabs one of them I didn't bend quite right and was making contact where it wasn't supposed to. Have not encountered that for years now though with foam/metal shields and perma installed shields with newer motherboards.

gingerbee

I didn't mean the I/O shield tangs inside the USB I just was wondering if they are there to help ground the I/O part of the board but I have confirmed that my whole board is grounded properly so really not sure what's causing it just not going to be playing with fire any more with that portable SSD thanks all

KaptCrunch

Your correct fangs for static grounding, seems this MB has issues if is only one giving a instant shut down when plug in drive.
Have use of digital multimeter to check USB socket. Look for pin out of USB FEMALE.

Latest posts

Twitter