What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC shutting down after installing new video card

Kessler

Hello there,

I recently purchased a GTX 980 Ti to replace my GTX 970. I've also been using an overclocked i7-4930K @ 4.5 GHz for more than a year now along with a X79-DELUXE motherboard, and prior to replacing the video card I have had absolutely zero problem with my PC.

Now here's the thing: every time I put my PC on full load (say benchmarking on Fire Strike or a very graphically demanding game), it will shut down without any warning or BSOD whatsoever, just like if someone pulled the AC power cord from the wall socket. Upon restarting, this message will appear: "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit."

My motherboard's BIOS is up-to-date and I have tried disabling ASUS Anti-Surge in the BIOS, but the PC will still shutdown just like before, except the ASUS Anti-Surge message simply won't appear. I have also used Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled NVIDIA's drivers but it made no difference at all.

I am currently using a Cooler Master V1000 80+ gold power supply (made by Seasonic) which should be more than enough given that I only have 1 video card in my system.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that if I do not overclock the CPU, or if I don't overclock the GPU, then it will take a longer time for the PC to shutdown, but it will inevitably happen (it will shutdown after 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds to 1 minute). Both the CPU and GPU stay under 65*C degrees on full load (100% fan speed).

So my questions are: how likely is it that it is a power supply problem? Could the problem originate from the new video card or the motherboard?

Thank you in advance for your answers! :thumb:

ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Hmm odd! Have you also tried it with reverting back to the GTX 970?

Have you also tried setting the bios completely back to default/fail-safe settings?

Kessler

Heyyo,

Hmm odd! Have you also tried it with reverting back to the GTX 970?

Have you also tried setting the bios completely back to default/fail-safe settings?
I have tried resetting the BIOS completely back to default settings (thus removing my overclock), and while it does help a bit - delaying the inevitable shutdown - it does not fix the problem entirely.

However, I haven't tried reverting back to the GTX 970, but I've been playing graphically demanding games with the GTX 970 the day before I swapped for a GTX 980 Ti and I had no issues before... :sad:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
It does sound like a power supply issue. Even the best can have defects that don't show up until you're under significant load. Do you have a friend you can borrow a PSU from to help troubleshoot the issue?

Kessler

It does sound like a power supply issue. Even the best can have defects that don't show up until you're under significant load. Do you have a friend you can borrow a PSU from to help troubleshoot the issue?
I believe I have a friend who would be willing to lend me his Corsair AX650 power supply; however, I'm not sure if that'll be enough for my setup. I'll try this out tomorrow and I'll report the results here! Thanks!

MARSTG

You don't really need a 1000W PSU to run that, even a 650W will do fine, so you have a wide range of PSUs that you could test with. It has 23% of 1egg reviews on Newegg, a bit too many for a 80Plus Gold PSU. Try with another PSU.

clshades

here is something I want you to try before you get to crazy. (maybe you already have) This is something I have witnessed over the years overclocking and more specifically with the hx1000 which is in fact dual 500w PSU's in one house.

Create a desktop icon of Power Options from your control panel. Set the power option to high performance and then re-do your overclocking. What this will probably expose is the PSU not handling the voltage swings properly which will definitely expose the PSU as the culprit if the system is suddenly stable again. When I overclock for games I always set the power option to high performance because I do NOT want the CPU or GPU to swing back and forth as demand requires. I personally just want a stable system...

If you are overclocked and everything seems to have stabilized try setting the power option to balanced this will let the CPU throttle up and down as needed. If it crashes then you know your PSU isn't handling the power requests correctly. High performance doesn't allow the OS to control the CPU frequency.

Kessler

here is something I want you to try before you get to crazy. (maybe you already have) This is something I have witnessed over the years overclocking and more specifically with the hx1000 which is in fact dual 500w PSU's in one house.

Create a desktop icon of Power Options from your control panel. Set the power option to high performance and then re-do your overclocking. What this will probably expose is the PSU not handling the voltage swings properly which will definitely expose the PSU as the culprit if the system is suddenly stable again. When I overclock for games I always set the power option to high performance because I do NOT want the CPU or GPU to swing back and forth as demand requires. I personally just want a stable system...

If you are overclocked and everything seems to have stabilized try setting the power option to balanced this will let the CPU throttle up and down as needed. If it crashes then you know your PSU isn't handling the power requests correctly. High performance doesn't allow the OS to control the CPU frequency.
Tried this this morning but unfortunately the PC still crashed.

It seems like it was indeed a power supply problem; tried with an AX650 power supply this morning and it has been stable for over 1 hour so far (which is a good sign).

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Bond007

Tried this this morning but unfortunately the PC still crashed.

It seems like it was indeed a power supply problem; tried with an AX650 power supply this morning and it has been stable for over 1 hour so far (which is a good sign).

Thanks everyone! :biggrin:

Glad you figured it out, but it sucks your psu is failing...it is a good one. It would be worth trying to RMA if you can. Good luck!

Latest posts