What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC to PS3

BT!

does anyone know if its possible to hook up a PS3 to the 2nd network port on my PC and use it like a switch instead of having a switch or router and hooking them up separate?
i drew an image of what i mean.. it sux but you'll get the idea. thanks

Attachments

• bad drawing.jpg
    bad drawing.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 185

steers

Yeah, you should be able to assign another IP on a different subnet to your second interface. From there, you can configure your machine to bridge traffic from the second interface onto your primary (the one connected to the router). From there, just manually assign your PS3 an IP in the same subnet as what you gave the secondary interface on your PC, set your PC's IP address as the gateway on the PS3 and you're all set.

The specifics of how to do that on Windows are up to you though. I'm sure connection sharing to PS3 isn't anything completely uncommon :thumb:

BT!

i assigned the 2nd network port an ip of 192.168.0.130, went into the PS3 and set ip address of 192.168.0.130 and set default router and Primary dns as 192.168.0.1 and it obtained IP and connected to the internet. :) thanks.
i need to take an update before it will do the other connection test results though. but it connected to the net to download update so i'm going to assume its working. thanks again. :thumb:

LarkStarr

Windows usually does all that stuff automatically when you share the connection.

Infiniteloop - don't need to run a 2nd cable from the router, no switch and you don't have to use the wireless (yay). It's the same method I use.

BT!

the router is in the utility room and i only have 1 network line coming into my room, so now i dont need to have a 5 port network switch hooked up just for the pc and ps3, since my PC is on anytime i use my ps3 anyway.

BT!

Windows usually does all that stuff automatically when you share the connection.

Infiniteloop - don't need to run a 2nd cable from the router, no switch and you don't have to use the wireless (yay). It's the same method I use.

it was failing on "Obtaining IP" and "Internet Connection" until i did that.
and yes, wireless sucks for streaming movies to the ps3 so keeping it wired without the switch is what i was after. :thumb:

the router is in the utility room and i only have 1 network line coming into my room, so now i dont need to have a 5 port network switch hooked up just for the pc and ps3, since my PC is on anytime i use my ps3 anyway.

ok that makes perfect since..

Latest posts