What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC will boot to CD but not usb drive

Mac29

System was fine, then created a Macrium Reflect (free ver 7) boot option (if I press F12). Now it won't boot to usb stick, only CD or the OS on the HDD. It will show a black screen, 'Loading OS ...' then 'Boot from CD/DVD' twice and then a blinking cursor.

I remove the W10 HDD and replace w/another HDD, I get the above when trying to boot to either the MR usb flashdrive or the W10 install usb flashdrive. If I use a CD, ex. Linux Mint, it boots ok.

Can't figure this one. The MR usb probably is missing something, even though MR should've discovered everything necessary when creating the legacy bios usb drive. The W10 install usb works on other systems.

Stumped.

moocow

I would double check the BIOS settings first to see if the boot sequence is set correctly. I notice some boards don't list USB as removable device but another hard drive. With the USB inserted directly to the motherboard (back slots), boot into BIOS and see if it's even there under hard drive or removable device.

Mac29

Boot sequence is correct. USB not detected in Bios.Tried again and I can't boot to the HDD. Error "Missing BOOTMGR'. So I must be mixed up re: when I could do that yesterday.

However, I'm not sure how to repair. I'll have to use UBCD or Hirens or something. Not sure what command to run or what file(s) to fix.

I'll have to research how to do that.

Thanks.

Mac29

I tried UBCD and mini-XP to use command prompt and Bootrec /fixboot but that is not a recognized command. Not sure how I can get to Advanced Startup options on the W10 HDD if Bootmgr is hosed.

I'll try another option in UBCD. First order of business is to be able to boot to W10.

Thanks again.

Mac29

Found bootrec.exe /fixboot and used it from a Macrium Reflect disc I made for W7. For future readers that is the command to use in an environment associated w/Windows 7. Don't know if simple bootrec /fixboot would have worked here (Mac Reflect CD should be OS ver agnostic when using DOS, I figure). That is the command for W8 +. That fixed BOOTMGR file. Boots fine now. So bootrec.exe should have worked from UBCD's mini-xp environment AFAIK.

Well, thanks Moocow.

Latest posts