What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC Will Not Boot

Wheezy

Hey guys, I need some help with my PC which will not boot. The specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GFX: XFX GTX 285
MB: Asus P6T Deluxe
RAM:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corsair XMS3[/FONT] 6gb DDR3
O/S: Vista Home Premium 64bit
HDD: WD Caviar Black 640GB x2
Case: Silverstone Fortress
DVD: Pioneer DVD/RW DL
PSU: Corsair TX750W

Basically what happened was my friend was over playing a game on it for an hour or so, they quit out of the game, we both went outside for a bit. When I came back inside, the PC had somehow shut itself off. I tried turning it on but nothing happened. I took off the case and tried looking for any wires that might have come unplugged, but couldn't find anything. My motherboard (P6T Deluxe) has two illuminated buttons on it (Power and Reset); neither seem to do anything but I'm guessing that since they both have power my PSU isn't an issue?

My knowledge with computers is fairly limited, it was all assembled by NCIX before being shipped to my house. I've tried googling for answers, I've tried unplugging two of my three RAM chips to try and boot, but nothing happens. Unlike in other posts I've read about people with the same board, nothing spins up (fans, HDDs, etc.), absolutely nothing happens when I hit the power button.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Wheezy

Power supply issue me think.
Yeah? I wasn't really sure if it could be since the two buttons on the motherboard are lit up, but then my friend made me realize that those hardly require any power at all to be lit up... hmm.

These are the buttons that I'm talking about:
74100012.jpg

Shadowmeph

first thing is to check your power bar is turn on check to see if power is coming out of the plugin ( wall plugin) if nothing then check the breaker switch then do what every one else has said, I know one time I was at my buddies we had a few drinks in us and stepped out to get some more when we came back his pc wouldn't start ,we went through everything "inside" the pc switching PSUs and what not ( at that time I smoked) I lit up a cig and was going to put it in the ash tray and noticed that the ash tray was on the floor next to the power bar, I picked up the ash tray and noticed that the powerbar's switch was off, I guess the cat had knocked the ash tray onto the power bar switch and turned it off man we felt pretty stupid being out down buy a cat.

Zero82z

Banned
If power is getting to the motherboard, the most likely possibility is that the motherboard failed. However, if you have another PC that you can test the PSU in, that would let you confirm one way or the other.

G

Jump start the PSU if it wont jump then it is dead. Then look to your motherboard.

KaptCrunch

headsh0t said:
Clear CMOS and try again? Try another PSU?

note: when doing so have wall power cord removed with caps drained by pushing start button then reset CMOS

Wheezy

Thanks for all the help guys, it turns out the PSU is dead. I picked up a cheap one from Best Buy to test with and the system booted up with no problems.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Latest posts