What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC won't turn off...

GT7R

But restarts itself every time I shut it down... happens since I've installed a PCI lan card (the onboard one died). Any clues guys?

Shadowmeph

What exactly happens? you cannot shut it down so you do a hard shutdown ( Meaning you hold the Powerbutton until it shuts down) then the PC reboots it self ?
I would unpluyg the PC and then push the power button to discharge what ever electricity is left, plug it back in and power it up.
What are your specs?

GT7R

Whenever I try shutting it down normally (start menu button, single-push physical case button), it will shut down and then start again just as if I've restarted it via the start menu. Hard shutdown works but windows never like it so I shut it down normally and just as it's about to start again I switch off the PSU. Works, but annoying :/
Specs in the right box are up to date :)

sswilson

Staff member
Wake-on-Lan settings for the nic card maybe?

I had a cheapo wallmart TV that (and two of them did this.... ;) ) once it started to fail (within 1 month of purchase for both, 1 week on the first, and pushing 1 month on the second) would switch itself on/off/on/off/etc.... in the middle of the night. I assumed it was something related to the sensor for the remote.... pretty creepy when your bedroom tv just randomly starts turning itself on/off in the middle of the night..... ;)

jurassic1024

Try BIOS settings at Optimal (usually F5 followed by F10 to save), and reboot. That or check your BIOS for any additional LAN adapters enabled and try to disable.

GT7R

Tried everything you guys mentioned, didn't solve the problem :( ... probably I'll have to live with it till my planned Ivy bridge upgrade. Anyway thank you all for trying to help! ^^

Arinoth

Staff member
Sounds to be that it's something with the motherboard, I had this happen to my parent's computer. Only way that seemed to fix it was to replace the mobo.

Latest posts

Twitter