What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PC won't turn on

Seperon

My current specs all run at stock.
Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada
I am still waiting for my diag kit to come in to test the mobo and PSU.
I plan on switching the ram because I chose 1866 instead of 1600 (what a mistake lol).
First I tested my outlet cable and that worked, then I tried to bypass the power button(because i believe I torn one of the wires on the case by accident when the front of the case came off and i just slid it back in without making sure any of the cables were clipped. The mobo did not respond when I use a screwdriver to connect the power and ground. I'm most likely aimming towards buying a new mobo because I believe thats the issue. Now if you don't believe that is the case suggest more tests until my post test and psu kit come here that can confirm which part is broken. Or if you do believe its the mobo thats fried. Suggest a new one with a reasonable cost (less than 200).

ZZLEE

Pull the case panel and check your connections.

Do you have another case or a friend with a case to test the board with. Use Case switch and power LED and HDD LED from another case to test.

Seperon

Pull the case panel and check your connections.

Do you have another case or a friend with a case to test the board with. Use Case switch and power LED and HDD LED from another case to test.

Tried the power switch cable from a different case. no results, still wont turn.

KaptCrunch

remove motherboard and test on table

and short the PWR pins on front panel header

check your connections power cables to MB

if have a multi-meter check polarity on 8 wire / 4wire power

other is a bent pin in cpu socket

question has this system ever booted ?

Last edited:

Seperon

remove motherboard and test on table

and short the PWR pins on front panel header

check your connections power cables to MB

if have a multi-meter check polarity on 8 wire / 4wire power

other is a bent pin in cpu socket

question has this system ever booted ?

I'll have to do that when I have more time. I am ordering the kit to do a post test and on the PSU. but you know 7-11 days is a pretty long shipping time. This system has booted before I been using it for a year and a half now. I have gotten BSOD like a couple times but i think thats because of the memory slots or my ram is bad or like I mentioned before got 1866 for a 1600 mobo. It does support 1866 but in OC mode. Meaning I should set my BIOS to OC mode all the time then? Besides that I haven't have any major issues. Some minors ones I can live with.
I typically take pretty good care of my electronics, clean them out and dust it. Renew the thermal compound.

clshades

it wouldn't matter if you bought 2400 ram dude.... It's still 1600 until you overclock it. The 1866 just has more headroom for overclocking options. I would be willing to bet if you ran in XMP mode the timings would get faster @ 1600 with that 1866 ram.

cpuid CPU-Z has a tab for ram timings. If your ram is say... 1866 10-10-10-32 2t ---- then at 1600 under xmp mode it will probably run at 9-9-9-28 1t ---- or something. :thumb:

Seperon

it wouldn't matter if you bought 2400 ram dude.... It's still 1600 until you overclock it. The 1866 just has more headroom for overclocking options. I would be willing to bet if you ran in XMP mode the timings would get faster @ 1600 with that 1866 ram.

cpuid CPU-Z has a tab for ram timings. If your ram is say... 1866 10-10-10-32 2t ---- then at 1600 under xmp mode it will probably run at 9-9-9-28 1t ---- or something. :thumb:

Ah I see that makes sense.

Flame02

I have had a similar problem with an Asus AMD motherboard. It ended up being the RAM pins did not make full contact with the memory and would not post. I would have to re-seat the memory until it posted.

Seperon

I have had a similar problem with an Asus AMD motherboard. It ended up being the RAM pins did not make full contact with the memory and would not post. I would have to re-seat the memory until it posted.

Mine did make full contact. the BIOS recognize the ram, and I tried that with different ram sticks and 2 mobos, unless I'm dumb and didnt put it in properly. I let the professionals deal with it. I spent more than enough time on it I passed it over to someone with more skills than myself to diagnose the issue.

Latest posts