What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PCI e 3.0 in a PCI e 2.0 slot??

fortkentdad

Been thinking of upgrading my video card, but have a question about compatibility with my motherboard.

I have an ASUS F2A85-M-Pro it has 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) and 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 expansion slots.

I was thinking about the HD7870 2GB card - but notice it is a PCI Express 3.0 x16 bus interface.

Two questions - will it work, and if it will work, is putting a PCI e 3 card into a PCI e 2 slot a bit of a waste as the card cannot utilize it's full potential.

And I have an Antec HCG 620, is this enough power for this card?

bliz

I say the exact same thing,the 2 others are right :haha:

fortkentdad

Now to get out the measuring tape and open up the case - I saw just how long the 7870 is - may need to settle for a 7850 which is shorter (and a few dollars less expensive) I probably won't notice the difference but on the tests the 7870 is 16% faster. Will post a pic of the install if I decide to go ahead with it. My truck needs about $2,000 in work so extra's like a new video card may need to wait for the Christmas wish list. :(

fortkentdad

the demise of the full size displayport?

Still doing my research on upgrading my video card.

I will need to use an Active Displayport Adapter for my eyefinity set up. I have one installed on the HD6670 I'm using now for my three screen array.

But it is for a full size displayport, not a mini. Seems all the video card makers except ASUS and Powercooler are using mini-displayports? What's up with that?

I can get two mini-dp's on most cards, some have five outputs. I suppose that could come in handy if I ever went to more than three screens, like I have desktop real estate for that??

I suppose I could use a mini to regular cable (ACCELL Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter at Memory Express ) but that will add $20.00 to the cost, effectively giving ASUS a $20 advantage over the competition. A mini- active dp adaptor comes in at $30.00.

So is the extra ports worth an extra $20 or $30?

trodas

Website
trodas.wz.cz
So is the extra ports worth an extra $20 or $30?
No, unless you want and plan to use them. If not, then they are not worth a penny.

But as the original question about backwards compatibility (eg. using PCIE v3.0 card in PCIE v2.0 slot) go, then I must say that it will work just fine, because PCIE is supposed to be by design backwards compatible. That does not mean, however, that you cannot stumble upon a problem with it.
In my case it was a GeForce 210 from MSI, that is proven not to be backwards compatible, or not at least in my mainboard :blarg:

(MSI GeForce 210-MD512H is PCIE v2.0 and the Sapphire A9RX480 mobo have PCIE slots v1.0a and this combination is definitively not working, tough I got already some suggestions on how to make it work by flashing other company bios to the MSI card... yet that require another PCIE mobo witch I did not have.)