What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PCI-E ASPM on w/Crossfire = amdkmdap crashes?

zoob

After selling off my GTX780, I opted to try out Crossfire 290X in my 4770K/Z87-Deluxe/Corsair AX750 PSU setup. Catalyst 14.4, Win 8 64 bit. This board uses the PLX chip for splitting the PCI-E lanes.

Has anyone experienced weird amdkmdap driver crashing due to PCI-E Active State Power Management (ASPM)?

I can game all day with either card in single config, but throw in a second one for CF and I get intermittent driver crashing. I see amdkmdap errors in my event log, and frequently the game will momentarily stutter and show me a low res equivalent graphic, then resume normal game play.

D3 will sometimes go black screen with a big mouse cursor, then return to normal.
Unigine Valley will sometimes go black screen, then resume the benchmark with no way of controlling (can't click on buttons otherwise it thinks I'm clicking on desktop icons).

Last night I did a bit of searching and someone recommended disabling ASPM, and it seems to have fixed it "for now", granted I only played for about 45 min.

Each card tests fine individually, it's when I turn on Crossfire that I get these issues. Cards get enough air as I currently have the side of my case off. I am using the top and middle slots on my motherboard.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Arinoth

Staff member
How did you remove the previous NVidia drivers? IF all you performed was an uninstall, there could be some lingering files causing issues with your AMD cards in crossfire.

zoob

Just regular uninstall. Are there special recommended 'driver cleaners' to wipe out all traces of NVIDIA settings? I might opt for a full re-install of 8.1 since I have a new SSD I wanted to upgrade to.

No on the 144, and I haven't enabled 120hz overclocking on my 2B yet - just running everything stock to sort out any issues.

TTC

OH ok, mine used to do that when I tried to run 144hz

zoob

Reinstalled Win 8.1 and got the same crashing until I disabled PCI-E power saving.

Latest posts

Twitter