What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PCIe 4.0 and potentially ditching power cables

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
What wasn't discussed is how you actually GET 300W+ to the socket. You can't do that through standard on-board traces.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Theory is great. Application is another story.

300W to any device is a LOT. Most laptops draw ~60W just for a reference frame.

300W@12V is 25 amps. This is a massive amount of push. Think of volts as a pipe diameter. Think of amps as water throughput. With the size of traces (not even accounting for the engineering behind inductive and capacitive problems) on current motherboards I dont see it as possible. Look at the power circuitry designed to support a 6700k on any current motherboard. Its ~95W, with a lot of amps (lower voltage, higher amps, P=I*E).

I'm sure they can do it, but we're talking about massive infrastructure upgrades to a motherboard, not even accounting for the GPU changes that need to be made.

FreeKnight

Theory is great. Application is another story.

300W to any device is a LOT. Most laptops draw ~60W just for a reference frame.

300W@12V is 25 amps. This is a massive amount of push. Think of volts as a pipe diameter. Think of amps as water throughput. With the size of traces (not even accounting for the engineering behind inductive and capacitive problems) on current motherboards I dont see it as possible. Look at the power circuitry designed to support a 6700k on any current motherboard. Its ~95W, with a lot of amps (lower voltage, higher amps, P=I*E).

I'm sure they can do it, but we're talking about massive infrastructure upgrades to a motherboard, not even accounting for the GPU changes that need to be made.

I don't doubt changes are needed. If I had to guess, I doubt any MB would support the max. I could see potential boards allowing up to a certain draw, not enough for a dualgpu on a single slot or something as power hungry as the 4XX series when it came out.

But a guy can hope :D

KaptCrunch

25amps = 10 gauge (.102 inch) wee smaller than 1/8

if they build a MB with that then would make a thicker PCB and a lot heavier also the PCI-e socket contacts would be a lot beefier

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Maybe if they built it out of gold instead of copper.

Well. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume this was meant tongue-in-cheek. :whistle:

If not: Resistance over the kinds of distances we're talking, with the volts and amp loads we're talking, has very little impact on the bottom line.

It is a similar argument to the audiophile market about 'gold plated' this, and that. The resistance difference is literally negligible.

Latest posts