What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD's

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
more options are coming and they're bloody fast, already 4x faster than PCIe 3.0 NVMe. I am, however, on the camp that it doesn't really matter anymore for the consumer or average office worker as these speeds can only be utilized by a few niche processes. that said, the, I like how this article points out even the budget DRAMless PCIe 5.0 SSD are FAST!!!

Over time, all Gen 5 SSDs will get cheaper, especially as NAND prices sink. However, one sure-fire way to get budget Gen 5 SSDs is to go with a DRAMless configuration. There are a slew of PCIe Gen 3 and Gen 4 drives without DRAM and, though they can't quite hit the same speeds as more expensive SSDs that have a DRAM cache, they give you a lot for your money.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
if they could make the 4k random iops faster wed see more improvement then trying to get to 20gbs read/write give us hypetane 4k random and wed not need aios for our m.2 lol.

Shadowmeph

I always find it a little funny when things like this come out pcie5 when in about a year some of those people will be working on pcie 7 while other will be almost finishing pcie6 which is why I tend to stay with the last gen but I guess for the pros who need the extra little bit for work or projects it would make a difference.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Pros? There are no pros here, just some people bragging.
Yes, the real world benefits arnt being worked on. It is just 'bigger numbers = faster' at this point.

This feels like the equivalent of putting a jet turbine on a honda civic. Sure. It goes fast in theory, but the practicality is wasted.