What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Performance VS motherboards...

Skyllz

I've always built my systems for the last couple years, never really bothering other thne getting a decent CPU, ram and video card. The Mobo was usually the cheapest part of all.

I'm currently running a P5K SE and overlocking a Q6600 @ 3.09ghz. Would I see an increase of performance in games by using a better mobo?

What makes a good mobo VS not a good mobo for the average gamer/user like me?

I tried reading some faqs of the net and it's way over my head.

Reason i'm asking is that the wife's computer is running a M2N-E with a 3800X2 and I want to upgrade that eventually. So maybe a New intel cpu to drop in my P5K SE for her and a new Mobo for me? :thumb:

Skyllz

Seems like the M2N-e supports the newer X4 processors with the bios updates... hmmm...

That could be a good upgrade for the wife i guess?

MpG

These days, you often see performance differences of less than 1% between motherboards. Differences larger than that are usually the result of old vs new technology, or vastly different price points. What sets them apart is their other features, such as plugs and jacks, chipsets, cooling, stability, overclocking abilities, looks, etc.

In your case, a different motherboard really isn't going to make much difference to bottom-line performance. It may give you the option to use other equipment configurations, or clock your processor higher, but that's about the extent of it.

Skyllz

k... then I guess just a CPU upgrade for the wife is the cheapest way to go and will last a while then.

More money to spend somewhere else for once :bananafunky:

Oversized Rooster

The only reason to shell out more money for a higher-end mobo is if you're going to do some heavier overclocking, or you want 2 or 3 video cards. Higher-end mobos will also have good chipset cooling, 8-phase power design or higher for the CPU, etc. However, all these things are for OCing.

Other than this, chipset features are often exactly the same on the lower-end mobos so you're not getting any less value for your money as long as you're not OCing. At stock, or near-stock settings, a $100 mobo will perform 97% or higher, just as well as a $300 mobo.

Skyllz

Thanks, that sums up what I had managed to figure out.

So for some slight OC'ing I should'nt bother then... The only reason I OC is to get that little extra ounce of performance without getting too much into it and sacrificing reliability/noise like I did with my Q6600.

Dizz

Hi SkyIIz, you are already OC your Q6600 to 3GHz & I think most people would agree that a VCore of 1.45v is the practical 24/7 Full Load limit to which you can OC a Q6600 on Air. In my experience this VCore voltage can in practice support 3.6GHz (450x8 or 400x9) with a Q6600.

Therefore, if you get a “better” Motherboard that will do either 450x8 or 400x9 (I’m assuming that your current Motherboard cannot) the limiting factor may become your HSF. What will your Temps be with an “Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro” @ 3.6GHz?

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cooling/2008/arctic-cooling-duo/load_lrg.png

Assuming that your temp will be OK you could consider the Motherboard in my signature.

If you do; you should note that I was a little uncomfortable with the results of a temperature “Touch Test” on the NB & MOSFET’s, so I also upgraded the standard Motherboard heat-sinks. The MOSFET’s & NB are now fitted with Thermalright’s HR-09 & HR-05 SLI/IFX respectively. By the way the HR-05 SLI/IFX required some gentle modification.

On the subject of modification, I have also read that the “Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro” requires a little bit of modification in order to fit on this Motherboard.

Anyway, I hope it helps! Best of luck, Dizz

Last edited:

Latest posts