What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PFSense i3-6100 or Celeron G4400

moocow

So I picked up a used machine thinking it didn't come with RAM, CPU, and storage. To my surprise, it came with 4GB of DDR4, an Intel i3-6100, and a WD Blue 500GB spinner. Since I'm planning on using it as HTPC to watch Youtube during dinner and eventually migrate it to PFSense once I replaced the old i7-2600 server with my R5-1600AF when Ryzen 3 comes out. I'm wondering what CPU to stick into the HTPC. I already have a spare G4400 that's 2C/2T so I'm wondering if I should stick that in and sell the i3 for cheap like $40. Then again, I see people advertising the i3 for $50 and seem to have no takers. Another way is to keep the i3 and give away the G4400.

Entz

Run the 1600AF as a VM host and use that :D

In terms of those two for HTPC they are basically identical IMO. i3 has massively "faster" graphics but labeled as the same series. Not sure how much of a difference that makes for HTPC. The i3 has higher clocks, has the 2 extra threads and supports AVX2.

Its a slam dunk in favor of the i3 really.

pfSense is going to love the higher clocks and HT gives you a bit more headroom for background tasks. Though I do not have any metrics to compare the two or say this setup will allow X bandwidth with x settings.

moocow

Run the 1600AF as a VM host and use that :D

I considered it and even tried playing around with bare metal VM. However, I got an existing RAID array on a Dell card already formatted to NTFS and loaded with data and it's not compatible with the bare metal VM route unless I nuke the entire partition and start over as a new storage device.

Latest posts

Twitter