What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Radiator Clearance

Lpfan4ever

I'm looking at getting an Evolv mATX for my new build and need to buy a new double rad for it since my current AX360 obviously won't fit. I can't seem to find a definite answer and Phantek's own support basically ignored my email, so here I am. Does anybody have one and can tell me what thickness of rad I can fit in the top of the case with just a single set of fans?

The only thing I've seen so far is Bill Owen over at Mnpctech had a preview video on it that says up to 60mm thick rads will fit, but mentions nothing about fans and all that. 60mm with fans, 60mm without? Who knows. I just am looking at throwing an EK XE240 or Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 in there if it can house a 60mm thick rad and and extra 25mm for fans. If not then I doubt a double 120 less than 35mm thick will handle a 6700k and a 290x.

Vittra

Haha, Phanteks has ignored my inquiries in the past as well.

Don't get this case to watercool. The top panel is incredibly restrictive both for intake and exhaust.

10e

Don't.

Bother

With this one. It is airflow deficient like you wouldn't believe.

The inset for the front fans is almost exactly 85 mm below the top mount. I measured it during test fit. Take up to 35mm off that for top pointed water ports or a bit less for bottom pointed water ports (on the front rad). I built a custom acrylic pipe water cooled build with i7 3930K, Asrock X79M-Extreme 4 mobo, and twin MSI GTX 970 golden editions with EK water blocks. This was to be cooled by an Alphacool ST30 240mm radiator up top in push, and a front mounted XSPC EX240, both with Gentle Typhoon GT AP15s front and top.

When the panels were off with the cards at around 1400mhz my temperatures were 44 celsius for the cards, and 28-30 celsius water. Fans were powered by the PWM fan hub at around 1100-1200 RPM using SpeedFan. CPU wasn't even hitting 35 celsius running Heaven or Metro LL in 2560x1600. Everything seemed great, cool, and super quiet.

Once I put the panels back on my GPU temps went over 50 with the fans at full speed. Very disappointing. Water temps rose by like 6-8 celsius. Loud and hot.

It's unfortunate. I love the looks of this case, great build quality, high quality scratch-resistant acrylic panel, nice not-to-deep profile, and water cooling-specific features. But once I actually finished everything I had to tear it apart and move things to a different case.

Pointing the top fans down helped quell temperatures by a couple degrees celsius, but not enough to satisfy my needs.

A front mounted UT60 will almost hit the motherboard, and the 24-pin ATX cable will be an exercise in pain and frustration. I tried that with a test fit. Uncomfortable.

My honest opinion is that this is easily the WORST Phanteks case I've ever owned, and I've owned almost all of them at some point outside of the Enthoo Primo and Evolv ATX.

If you want something a similar size, get an NZXT S340 and put a 280mm EK CE or Alphacool XT45-UT60 in the front and take out the cable bar to accommodate it. If you want to keep the cable bar for reservoir support, an ST30 280mm with twin Phanteks PH-140MP or Thermaltake Riing 140mm fans will do a great job, and you can add an XT45 120mm radiator in the back.

On the S340 I had a 280mm Monsta in the front with an OC'd 3770K at 4.4Ghz and the XFX r9 290 that SKYMTL reviewed a while back running at 1.24Ghz and 6000mhz memory and the card never went above 52 celsius and the CPU (not de-lidded) over 65 celsius on any core, with water temps less than 10 celsius Delta-T. Look up DS340-E on Dazmode's forums.

For Micro ATX and water cooling I'd easily recommend the Fractal Arc Mini R2 or Node 804 as far better for airflow and rad placement, or even the Coolermaster N200 as it has the movable bottom disk cage and ability to put fans between the front plastic panel and metal chassis, so a 35mm push-pull radiator in the front is great, with another 120mm in back or up top.

I've used a Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 with 360/240mm top/front rads like the UT60s with a small reservoir/pump combo mounted to the bottom fan mount to cool a 5960X @ 4.0Ghz and twin R9 290X 8GB Sapphire Tri-X adapters with EK blocks (both TWIN 8-pin PCI-E power connectors) and got LESS noise and better cooling than the Evolv ATX. Water temperature was about 12 celsius Delta-T with the fans below 1400 RPM in push-pull.

I've also had an AX360 in the top of the Arc Mini R2 at some point in push-pull and it was also pretty good in this above setup. It is a bit too close to the side panel due to width and the extreme 120mm fan offset, but still worked well and didn't end up scratched.

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

Ahhh what a wonderful writeup to what I inevitably did anyways. I saw an Arc Mini R2 at NCIX for $100 and change open box. Went for that for my rig and it's looking pretty nice. I'm also running an AX360 and I am soooooooooo glad to hear there's no major clearance issues since it's such a large shell.

To anybody reading this in the future, I found a review somewhere and it's 60mm total clearance before you generally start hitting RAM slots. With lower profile heatsinks you would have room no problem to go a bit further, but you'd have no access to remove RAM.