What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Phenom 9850 X4 (B3) perfromance review by Tony @XS

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I will caution EVERYONE against that DFI mobo right now. 3oh6 will back me up on this one since he has had first-hand experience with two of them and they have both been exceedingly unimpressive.

Babrbarossa

He's got an interesting cooling loop- a barrel of rainwater

Also note all benches are run at 3.2- it would appear 3.5 is unstable

One thing that pisses me off is that NCIX is selling these chips for 50 DOLLARS cheaper to american customers- barf- what are we, chopped liver? ($247USD vs $295CAD)

Last edited:

SKYMTL

Staff member
One thing that pisses me off is that NCIX is selling these chips for 50 DOLLARS cheaper to american customers- barf- what are we, chopped liver? ($247USD vs $295CAD)

I agree. This REALLY has me PO'd. It seems NCIX likes popping up the prices for the Canadian customers and then adding an "instant rebate" a few days later. It happened with the 9800GTX cards and I bet it will happen with the B3 Phenoms.

3oh6

I will caution EVERYONE against that DFI mobo right now. 3oh6 will back me up on this one since he has had first-hand experience with two of them and they have both been exceedingly unimpressive.
keep in mind, he is using a Beta BIOS that wasn't available up until a couple days ago and running a B3 chip which could be all the difference in the world. on top of that, Tony is simply raising the multiplier...no real overclocking and the board handles that just fine. i was working with a fixed multi, B2 Phenom, and older BIOS...all kinds of differences.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Good point on that one. But Tony also mentioned that he switched to the Gigabyte 790FX mobo since there are still issues with the DFI one and all the stability tests are done with said Gigabyte mobo.

Like I said in that post: right now. It seems that there are still quite a few underlying issues with the DFI 790FX which have to be ironed out to make it the last word in 790FX mobos.

3oh6

yup, and hopefully it is just BIOS work. if it is, then with Tony on the case, things should come around eventually.

Latest posts