What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Physical Memory 90% - WTF?

elimtl

Hey guys,
out of no where my 1 year old system started to give me new random memory problems i have never had before.

My ram is at 90% physical memory.
I have 4gb ram installed.
I have about 80-90 processes running at boot up with 1.25gb ram in usage.
After a days of uptime with a mix of torrenting video watching and gaming it gets locked at 3.5gb in usage even after closing all programs and apps.

Is there a mem_release command or a way to stop this from happening, thx!
Edit:
Ran mem diag tool, no errors found.
The lock up seems to be fixed to kernel memory in the non paged pool. Is this a driver issue?

Attachments

Last edited:

frontier204

Check the processes tab in your task manager and see what's taking up all of that. It's probably a memory leak in a program.
That nonpaged kernel memory is very high (mine is 74MB), so drivers are a likely culprit. Update all drivers you can just to try (except for storage drivers if you're on an AMD platform, since AMD storage drivers have other issues).

elimtl

i had the 295 beta nvdia drivers installed which coincided w the event timing.
I updated to the released 295 drivers and it seems ok for now.

The cat possibly lost its 9 lives but ill keep you posted.

Silent_Avenger

Y system also has become very low in physical memory. what shall i do?
Open up the task manager and click on the Processes tab. Then in that window click memory which should put the programs in order of how much memory they are using. You should be able to easily tell what is using all the memory. Lets us know what's using up the memory and we can further help you to fix it.

Shadowmeph

yes like everyone else suggested look in the task managers process, and see what is using all of that memory

Dragonstongue

or up to 8gb system memory, you will not have to worry as much, and it can help things be faster(ddr3 ram is dirt cheap for 8gb 2x4gb sticks can get for like $30 for 1333 sets or $45 for 1600 sets of 8gb, I like the 1600 myself, not much more, and the extra bandwidth helps quite a bit especially for work related things, ripping movies, folding etc)

ZZLEE

try cold shut down it will start back at low use and go up each time you put computer to sleeep. That is if its same bug i uesed to have.

Latest posts

Twitter