What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pinesol vs Swiftech Reservoir

JD

Staff member
Wasn't really planning on making a post, but I figured why not since Lysrin had come across it on Swiftech's site to use Pinesol to clean their AIO's, I've started giving it a shot on my stuff too.

Sadly I didn't take any before picture, but this Swiftech bay reservoir was super stained from UV Blue Feser One. Why it got so stained, I don't know, I can only suspect that the acrylic used wasn't polished/smooth enough or this is just a poorly designed reservoir. Basically the whole reservoir had a blue haze to it, with the highlighted sections being the worse build ups.

I had started with maybe a 25/75 mixture (Pinesol to water), ended up closer to a 50/50 mix. Let it run with the pump for roughly 6 hours, and then let it sit over night for about 8 hours with the pump off.

Granted, I know I didn't take the best pictures here either, but I've highlighted the sections as they progressed over time.

Definitely a lot cleaner than it was, not 100% perfect, and I'm not too certain if running it longer will remove that last bit or not. Due to the design, it's kind of a "dead zone" which doesn't get much flow regardless of what angle/position I put it at.

Attachments

• 20190727_173621.jpg
    20190727_173621.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190727_191952.jpg
    20190727_191952.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190728_133906.jpg
    20190728_133906.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 38

JD

Staff member
On a side note, the Feser one fluid cogged my Heatkiller CPU block when I used it a few years ago.
Maybe certain batches were bad? I just dumped Feser One Red from a system that's been running for roughly 3 years now without any maintenance and everything was still pretty clean. Possibly certain colours worse than others?

KaptCrunch

JD.
Used tap or distilled water when mixed

Pinesol is least caustic compared to CLR

Empty Rez For corners a Qtip with hydrogen peroxide

then followed with paper towel to dry then rinse 2 times with a wet paper towel note: do not fill Rez

Can use a coat hanger to reach ( pinched towel or Qtip on end)

Reason empty Rez for hydrogen peroxide is a killer on metal

JD

Staff member
Just been using tap water, I don't really need this so I wasn't overly concerned with any damage. At best, I'll use it to flush other systems now.

Other than my tap water being a bit on the hard side, I don't think it has a lot of mineral deposits in it since I don't really get any build up on taps/shower/etc.

Unfortunately due to the design, there's no way to stick anything inside the reservoir. The only real access is from the G1/4 ports, and that doesn't reach the spot remaining. There's a big cylinder around the pump intake with a mesh filter, and only tiny slits at the top of it to allow water in. Creates kind of a waterfall/whirlpool effect when running.

Valkyrie

Would a partial fill with cleaning solution and give 'er a good shakin' work maybe?

KaptCrunch is correct though, you can do wonders with some wire, cotton balls or swabs and tape....

Edit: ....and using demin/distilled with your cleaning solution will allow it to be more effective on the stuff you want to get rid of...

Last edited:

Latest posts