What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pinpointing issue before parting for bst

belinik

I have been plagued by my sister's main desktop since the bugger has born(last year).

Spec are following
e6550
gigabyte p45-DSLR
1st set ram: corsair xms2 6400-4gb, 2nd set ram: corsair xms 6400-4gb(see below)
500gb wd16-aaks
asus 8800gt (and also swapped with 9600gso)
antec EW 380w

The issue is the computer will random BSOD. I've gone thru so many mini dump and search but unable to pinpoint, reinstall windows and using different driver and does nto help. I finally took it to a local computer store(they hold that computer warrenty). They pinpoint it's a damaged ram module and sent back to corsair, I bought a new ram at the same time..... they stick it in... and the bsod still exist.

I then went thru another hdd, another set of video card and the problem still exist. The bsod wasn't frequent and my sister refuse to let me dice up the computer anymore because she is a heavy user.

Earlier this week the computer went dangerously slow and it was bsod when idle(never happend before). She finally gave in and asked me to rip the whole computer apart and buy new parts:

i5 750(I HUNGER.... I only use a e8400 :shok:)
4gb ripjaw
gigabyte p55 matx mobo

I am planning to sell the cpu mobo and ram(throwing away that psu since I have a tx650 on standby). However I need to figure out which exact part is causing the problem. I did multiple ram test and it was cleared, I thought it was the hdd giving up because windows file/dir loading is very slow, but when I put it in my comp for xfer it was working like a champ, hd tune was showing no bad sector in full test and benchmark was showing accepable result.

So now I am really down to psu or mobo, most component in the mobo is working fine(I do not see particular fault). And at the moment I am eyeing on a psu issue(if a psu is failing shouldn't it be rebooting instead of bsod?)

Also should I attempt to put the new psu in? if the fault is at mobo could it possibly damage the psu?

comments and suggestions are greatly apprecieated! (I am losing stupid ppd to this! :blarg:)

KaptCrunch

i get no hit on your MB model only find GA-EP45-DS3LR (rev. 1.0) this must be a OEM MB like HP

can you post the minidump info

Arinoth

Staff member
Have you ever run memtest86 on the ram or prime95 to see if you can pin point if it is bad ram, the cpu or mobo. Also have you ever written down what the blue screen error code is, whenever you get a blue screen it is typically a hardware issue (with exception of windows decides to delete its own boot files and can't find them after and blue screens!)

stoanee

Folding Team
Definitely make note of the bsod error code. If you are getting a new psu why not hook it up to that rig and see what happens, maybe it is underpowered or crapping out.

KaptCrunch

i see F9 is the current bios version for that MB with microcode,ps2, and 1Tb HDD

have you tried just booting with KB,mouse,HDD no opticial drives (i've had 1 go bad causing same issue)

belinik

Thanks for all the replies, the dmp shows it's an driver issue but I am unable to resolve it(tried remove driver, clean and update). I'm unable to throw the dump file out due to nic refused to turn on, if I force it on it bsod.

I replaced new psu and let memtest86 ran the whole night without error.

Now I honestly think it just might be a bad driver conflict that I can't fix.

belinik

dropped a tx-650 on it but it is still bsod atm. I am jumping in safe mode and removing all excessive hardware right now. I need to rip that zalman 9900 tonight so I can assemble the new i5 rig for my sister... or else she will maul me head off.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Interesting. BSOD right away? While booting, after the Microsoft logo screen? Time to clean up...

Latest posts