What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

Lysrin

I'm putting Android 12 on the Pixel 3... I'm a sucker for a new OS. I can't help myself!! :D
I put it on, looked around a little and then promptly went back to Nova Launcher :) There are things I like about the Pixel Launcher but being able to simplify and scale down nearly everything for a smaller screen using Nova keeps me coming back to it.

I actually don't mind the changes in the pull down shade. They are better suited to higher res screens as you said @JD but adjusting the font size in the System settings makes them manageable. I do like the additional information displayed, like what network I'm connected to without having to long press the wifi icon. No verdict on the new notifications display yet. I need to receive more of my normal ones to see how I like it.

I guess I am making this the Pixel 6 and Android 12 thread ;)

Update: I do like the new notification system and display. More readable to my ahem... slightly older eyes and easier to interact with.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Looked at a bit of the actual launch event. Google refers to it as the "Camera Bar". Not visor as Marques calls it in his video.

JD

Staff member
If I change the display scaling down a notch from normal, I feel its better sized, but then on my Pixel 5's (relatively) small screen, it feels a tad too small... no right answer for me!

I feel like the amount of text displayed has been truncated more too at the "normal" size. Annoying to have so many apps in the appdrawer show with "..." like Android Auto and Android TV both show as "Android..."

Lysrin

I've had the Pixel 6 in my shopping cart several times now and haven't bought yet. I still might, but tech these days... I want to be more excited! lol This Pixel 3 is I think the longest I have held onto a phone. Usually buy used but still. Spending close to $1k on a new phone, although I would like it, just doesn't make me as excited as it used to, especially given that the Pixel 3 is still doing nearly everything I want well enough.

Also the $139 buds that you could get with the preorder were out of stock the other day, with no apparent option to add to your order and get later when they are back in stock. But they were still advertising it as a preorder benefit. So that's a bit of a bummer.

JD

Staff member
Also the $139 buds that you could get with the preorder were out of stock the other day, with no apparent option to add to your order and get later when they are back in stock. But they were still advertising it as a preorder benefit. So that's a bit of a bummer.
Supposedly they'll reach out to you and let you order regardless. My Pixel Buds shipped yesterday, even though the ETA was mid-November. Pixel shipped this morning.

Lysrin

I can apparently get $104 for my current Pixel 3. Not terrible I guess.
Wow... apparently I should have preordered! Now the site is telling me I can get $18 for my Pixel 3... :oops: What the heck happened there?! lol

sswilson

Staff member
Wow... apparently I should have preordered! Now the site is telling me I can get $18 for my Pixel 3... :oops: What the heck happened there?! lol
That's just insulting.

I haven't looked at the used market in a while, but is there any reason why a person couldn't easily get $100+ on the local market for a functional Pixel 3?

JD

Staff member
Well it showed up today! Huge size difference of course, the Pixel 5 feels so tiny now after using the Pixel 6 Pro. Android 12 feels a lot better on a bigger screen. The spacing and size of things feels more at home now.

I'd say apps launch quicker but I can't really notice 90Hz on the Pixel 5 vs 120Hz here. Both feel equally smooth.

I'll agree with most reviews in that the fingerprint reader isn't the best, definitely slower and more prone to "misses" but maybe that can be tweaked in software overtime.

Feels very balanced in hand though, not top heavy like the Nexus 6P was. Maybe a little bit unwieldy at times but I'll get used to it :)

1635480301676.png

Lysrin

That's just insulting.

I haven't looked at the used market in a while, but is there any reason why a person couldn't easily get $100+ on the local market for a functional Pixel 3?
No I wouldn't think so. And the $104 that was offered during pre-order made a lot more sense. Weird.

Awesome @JD I'm still considering. I'd have a job getting switched to the larger phone from my Pixel 3, but my middle aged eyes would appreciate it I think.

The reviews are coming back very positive for the 6 and the 6 Pro, so that is good to see. Battery life seems not as good as we may have expected.