What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

chrisk

Folding Captain
I've had my Pixel 6 pro from Bell now for about a week. I came from a Pixel 5, and just before that, a Pixel 4XL.

Pros/what I love:
- screen quality is great and bright enough for outside. See notes below on the curves, though..
- speakers are amazing. Best I have heard on a phone. I had the 2XL and I say these on the Pro are better.
- haptics
- performance

Meh:
- battery life has not been as good as I had hoped. It's ok. Android 12 makes it hard to get good comparison to my earlier devices, but with my Pixel 5 I usually went to bed with 60-70% battery after a short top up in the day, the Pixel 6 Pro is a good 20-30% below that. Better than my 4XL thankfully.
- curved screen. Not as horrible as I thought it would be, but there is colour shift there that bugs me a little. No accidental taps though.
- cameras. I honestly can't see a difference with my Pixel 5. Nighttime shots are the same. Zoom is only improvement.

Ugh/Cons:
- Android 12. By far my least favourite upgrade yet. So much wasted space throughout the UI and default launcher. I decided to go back to Nova Launcher too after a 3-4 year break from it.
- charging speeds. I bought the 30w Google charger and looks like Google has crippled the charging to 22w anyways. If you have 18w legacy Google chargers just keep using those.
- accessories: the best protector I have found so far is the Best Buy applied one. Whitestone has committed to releasing their loca glass protector in January. I'll se the Best Buy one until then. Don't buy the tempered glass iShieldz that bell sells..its edge only and has some loca on the finger sensor that looks awful.
- cases are hard to get. I got a Tudia one and it stopped the wireless charging. I have the Cyril cream coloured one until my Bellroy blue leather one comes.
- under screen fingerprint scanner is finicky. I have both my thunbs trained twice as well as a finder and I still have issues. I'd say works 80% of the time. Not as good as the 99.99% of teh time on the Pixel 5 one I had.

Those are my main thoughts so far. I'll pop some pics of my cases (or a video link) once I get the Bellroy in hand, as well as the Spigen thin fit that should be here next week.

Overall I'm happy, but still some nagging things that I wish were different.

JD

Staff member
My Bellroy case shipped, so hopefully I get that on Monday :)

Tried out the Magic Eraser today while out, didn't work great at Theodore the Tug Boat, worked better in the woods.

sswilson

Staff member
Hey!!!! What'chya doin' with our tug boat?!?!?!?!? (I'm aware it was sold either this year or the year before.... :) )

JD

Staff member
Hey!!!! What'chya doin' with our tug boat?!?!?!?!? (I'm aware it was sold either this year or the year before.... :) )
Yeah it's been all over Lake Ontario this summer on tour I guess, just happened to randomly see it in Hamilton today but I guess it wasn't an official day or anything as nobody was there.

JD

Staff member
Got the Bellroy case today, fits pretty well I'd say, the cutouts on the bottom are not 100% perfect, but I think that's somewhat to be expected with leather. Does seem to be a bit of a lip on the bottom of the screen, unsure if intentional or not. Perhaps it'll wear down overtime too.

Makes it a bit softer in hand, I wouldn't really say its any grippier though. Doesn't seem to really add much bulk at all. Buttons still have a clicky feel too.

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Does it extend far enough on the front to keep the screen off of a surface if you set it down? (That's the main reason I want a case)

chrisk

Folding Captain
I got my cobalt blue Bellroy delivered today as well.

Actually love the case and I don't see an issue with the cutouts. Works with my wireless charger as well. A Tudia case I bought did not.

@sswilson there is a lip at the top and bottom to keep the screen off the table.

Love this case. Short term I can certainly recommend it. I'm not able to take any pics of the lip right now for you but with a tempered glass protector it will be close.

I'm very picky (this is my third case for this phone) and it's my favourite so far.

edit: here are some more pics @sswilson . Taking a closer look and my cutouts seem similar to JD's.

1636414132359.png

1636414162302.png

1636414194742.png

1636414225317.png

1636414259811.png

Last edited:

Lysrin

You guys planning to put any kind of protection on the camera bar area itself, similar to a screen protector idea but for that bar, or just go with the raised case edges?

I've never put anything on the camera lenses of previous phones but that bar seems... vulnerable somehow. I have always used screen protectors though, the tempered glass ones so they feel more like the original screen.

chrisk

Folding Captain
You guys planning to put any kind of protection on the camera bar area itself, similar to a screen protector idea but for that bar, or just go with the raised case edges?

I've never put anything on the camera lenses of previous phones but that bar seems... vulnerable somehow. I have always used screen protectors though, the tempered glass ones so they feel more like the original screen.
I worry about impacting photo quality if I put anything there. I could certainly be talked into it if there were no issues.

As for the screen protector, its tough with the curved screen. I emailed Whitestone and they are releasing one of theirs in January...I'll probably get that. I wouldn't bother with any other glass protector as they eitehr are dot matrix, or mess with the fingerprint scanner. Right now I'm using the Best Buy tpu film and it isnt too bad, actually. I tried the iShieldz from Bell and it was horrible.

Latest posts