What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

JD

Staff member
Since I think last time people missed the Pixel 5 launch, today was Pixel 6's launch! The most expensive Pixel to date I believe, starting at $1179CAD for the Pro 128GB and running up to $1309CAD for the 256GB model. The Non-Pro retains the same price point as the Pixel 5 though at $799CAD.

Currently includes free Pixel Buds A-Series if you pre-order. Trade-in value of a Pixel 5 is $500 for the Pixel 6 and $540 for the Pixel 6 Pro.

I upgraded my Pixel 5 to Android 12 today and the UI elements seem to take up way more screen space now, feels as though it was made for these larger devices. So decided to put in an order as I'm hopeful the increased size and resolution on the 6 Pro will be better with Android 12. My Pixel 5 after Pixel 3 trade-in was $619, so getting $540 as trade-in seemed like a good deal to me.

The upgraded camera stack should hopefully make me want to use my phone for pictures again. The "old" Pixel camera setup is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Lysrin

I can apparently get $104 for my current Pixel 3. Not terrible I guess.

I am tempted buy the Pixel 6. Honestly the Pixel 3 is still chugging along but I think I am out of security updates this month so that is concerning. Not sure if I'm up for the additional cost and size of the Pro, although the telephoto is tempting. However I'm not a fan of curved screen edges so that is a knock against the Pro for me. And overall, I'm not in love with the camera visor design. Seems like something that is going to get caught on the edge of my jeans pocket and send the phone flying... I definitely need a case if I buy! Marques video he does makes some interesting comments about the camera are design. And I would absolutely miss the rear fingerprint sensor. That position just works so well for me.

Preorder makes me a bit nervous. I believe the last few Pixels had issues at launch, and this phone has a lot of new tech. Yes they did fix those issues over time, Google is pretty good at that, but still.

Marques video, just unboxing and initial thoughts as that is all he can do at this point.

JD

Staff member
I flip flopped between the models too, the Pro might be a bit on the large side, but I want to give the telephoto lens a shot. Looks like cases will smooth out the "visor" if need be.

Google's support/warranty has been pretty good to me... Nexus 6P got replaced with a Pixel XL and my Pixel 3 they exchanged when my battery started bulging just prior to the warranty ending. Though I guess you can look at it the other way and say I've had a lot of problematic Google phones too...

Lysrin

Focus on the positive I say!

Checked and my Pixel 3 has the Android 12 update waiting. Not sure I want it based on what you said but I wasn't expecting it. How can I be out of security updates but getting an entirely new OS version? 🤔

sswilson

Staff member
Focus on the positive I say!

Checked and my Pixel 3 has the Android 12 update waiting. Not sure I want it based on what you said but I wasn't expecting it. How can I be out of security updates but getting an entirely new OS version? 🤔

If you use your phone's android auto app in landscape mode you don't want 12. :)

Lysrin

Yep. They're doing away with android auto in favour of Google Assistant Driving Mode which doesn't display well in landscape mode.

Interesting. I did try Android Auto for a little but ended up not using it. Something about it I just didn't like. If I have to interact with my phone driving I try and stick with voice commands these days. Or curse at Google and then end up pulling over ;)

Lysrin

I'm putting Android 12 on the Pixel 3... I'm a sucker for a new OS. I can't help myself!! :D

On2wheels

Yeah I was surprised at the trade in value on my 4a, but I absolutely love the size of the 4a and can't stand large phones.
edit: I put 12 on the 4a last night. The large UI was a shocker for sure.

Latest posts