What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

Lysrin

Any reason to think the older Pixel Stand for wireless charging would not work for Pixel 6? I know it wouldn't charge it as fast, but would it still charge? It still Qi wireless charging but on the old stand it would be just less watts?

JD

Staff member
Any reason to think the older Pixel Stand for wireless charging would not work for Pixel 6? I know it wouldn't charge it as fast, but would it still charge? It still Qi wireless charging but on the old stand it would be just less watts?
Charged mine on it just fine yesterday, of course phone gets a bit warm, but nothing out of the ordinary. The new Pixel Stand has a fan in it though to help deal with the heat and allow faster charging.

Not sure if it was an Android 12 thing, or if its a Pixel 6 thing, but there's an "Adaptive charging" toggle now too that says it will trickle charge overnight and speed up closer to when you alarm goes off so you start the day at full battery.

Lysrin

@JD any follow-up comments since you've had it for a few days?

I think I am getting close to buying the Pixel 6. I've watched the major player reviews on YouTube, but just curious what you think at this point.

JD

Staff member
In hindsight, I think Pixel 6 would have been fine for me too, but what's done is done :)

I've seen some comments in the reviews too about how the camera is a bit too aggressive now with the upgraded hardware, I'd agree there too. While the pictures have more detail to them now compared to my Pixel 5, it looks like it's still applying a lot of sharpening which I don't believe is needed anymore. Weather has been pretty crappy here though, rainy/cloudy the majority of time, so that hasn't helped me "evaluate" either.

Battery life, I haven't really been keeping track to be honest, I charged it yesterday evening since I ran it down to 10% but I can't remember when I charged it... I'm inclined to say Sunday. Today I'm at 70% with almost 3hr of screen on time and an estimate of 1d6hr left. So I guess in my use patterns, I get about 2 days.

Overall performance is great, I used to get the odd moments of lag on the Pixel 5, none of that here. Apps still seem to launch a lot quicker too.

JD

Staff member
I know they've mentioned a lot that "Pixel will continually get better!" so I'm hoping things like the camera get sorted in the next few months. Way of the world I guess, release mostly complete software and fix it as you go :)

Lysrin

Did you buy a case for yours? I bought the one from Google. Likely an overpriced option but I like the little G on the back :D

I had the Google "carpet case" on my Pixel 2 and 3. I liked those. They got dirty but at least they were unique looking.

On2wheels

Not sure if it was an Android 12 thing, or if its a Pixel 6 thing, but there's an "Adaptive charging" toggle now too that says it will trickle charge overnight and speed up closer to when you alarm goes off so you start the day at full battery.
I recommend testing this out so you're familiar with it. Apparently the alarm needs to be set between certain hours and the phone plugged in between certain hours for this to work. When I tried it on my 4a I woke up an hour before the alarm time and the phone was already at 100% with no indication that adaptive charging was active. I have not relied on that function since. 9to5google.com has a description of the feature.

Do you always charge to 100% Ever since reading that article on keeping phones between 40and 80% I hesitate to go higher now. The 4a battery has been so unpredictable the past 6 months, nothing like the first 6 months where it was amazing. I guess that's like any new phone, they all have amazing battery life when new.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I don't use my phone as an alarm nor do I even keep my phone near my bed, strict no technology zone for me. Sit in front of screens for nearly all waking hours already :rolleyes:

It only takes about 90mins to charge with my Anker charger, so it's not a big deal for me to see that it's done and unplug it.

Did you buy a case for yours? I bought the one from Google.
Put in an order for this: https://bellroy.com/products/leather-case-for-pixel-6/leather_pixel6pro/black since it was a collab with Google and seems to embrace the visor.

Though also eyeballing this: https://latercase.com/products/google-pixel-6-pro-thin-case, since Kevlar sounds cool and probably feels decent, but I'm not too keen on how they only cut out the cameras.

Seems there's a lot of TPU/plastic ones at absurdly high prices. For example:
It looks like a cheap TPU case from AliExpress or your local mall vendor. Why is it $43? Likewise came across this old post for MNML too:
So looks like these companies are just putting some crazy markups on otherwise cheap cases...

Latest posts