What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

Lysrin

Finally got it! All set up now. Case and screen/camera protectors on. App transferred. Moving my authenticator apps was way easier this time. That has come a long way since the last time I switched phones, thankfully. It's considerably bigger than the ol'Pixel 3 was but it is lot easier on the eyes.

Still not in love with the fingerprint scanner on the front. That will take some adjusting. But I did getting it working better with the screen protector on. I had the thought that I had done the fingerprints without a screen protector on. So I wondered if redoing them after the screen protector was applied would help. Seem to have.

Need to experiment with the camera more for sure. It is a different animal.

Overall very pleased with it. It a satisfying upgrade for sure and hopefully will serve me well at least as long as the Pixel 3 has.

Reactions: JD

chrisk

Folding Captain
Finally got it! All set up now. Case and screen/camera protectors on. App transferred. Moving my authenticator apps was way easier this time. That has come a long way since the last time I switched phones, thankfully. It's considerably bigger than the ol'Pixel 3 was but it is lot easier on the eyes.

Still not in love with the fingerprint scanner on the front. That will take some adjusting. But I did getting it working better with the screen protector on. I had the thought that I had done the fingerprints without a screen protector on. So I wondered if redoing them after the screen protector was applied would help. Seem to have.

Need to experiment with the camera more for sure. It is a different animal.

Overall very pleased with it. It a satisfying upgrade for sure and hopefully will serve me well at least as long as the Pixel 3 has.
Tomorrow we will get an update that should make the fingerprint scanner much better. Speed won't be improved but accuracy should be. We are also due for a feature drop.

If the list of fixes are extensive I might even do a factory reset after the update. With xmas coming, travelling, etc. I would like to have a fresh OS. I do tend to do a factory reset after major updates and with this phone being so new I'm thinking I might.

Edit: Whitestone will have a screen protector for the 6 and 6 Pro shortly. I'll def be picking up one of those asap.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I put in a pre-order for RhinoShield case + their screen protector, maybe I'll get it later this month. It's one of Google's approved ones, so figure it should work fine.

One issue I've had is when I have Google Maps running, phone locked, then go to open Telegram from a notification and unlock, I just end up with a grey screen and unresponsive phone. I then have to hit the power button to turn the screen off, double tap screen/hit power button and then unlock the phone normally, then open the notification/launch Telegram.

Lysrin

It does have some quirks. Few apps too that worked fine on Android 12 on the Pixel 3 are a bit wonky on the Pixel 6. Weird.

And I am having limited success getting my Pebble up and running again, even with the Rebble system. That'll be a loss if I can't get that sorted.

Update: I'm out of luck on the Pebble. Can't think of anything else to try. The bluetooth on the phone itself can still see it, but the sideloaded APK from Rebble just can't seem to work. App launches but it spins trying to pair and the Pebble never shows up. Without that it's no go I'm afraid. Sucks...

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I think possibly due to Google's use of their own CPU this time around, perhaps some apps are not quite compatible with the tweaks they've done? Might improve over time, but another one I've run into issue with is my FLIR One IR camera, the app just insta-crashes. I emailed their support though and they said they're aware of the issue and working on a fix at least.

Maybe you can reach out/submit bug report to the Rebble devs? I'm guessing they might already be aware too as I'm sure you're not the only person using it on a Pixel 6.

Lysrin

Maybe you can reach out/submit bug report to the Rebble devs? I'm guessing they might already be aware too as I'm sure you're not the only person using it on a Pixel 6.
Yes, agreed. Their site recommends their Discord for additional help so I will check that out. Haven't looked yet.

I don't want to retire the Pebble yet if I don't have to! I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, and with Google buying Fitbit, and cooperating more with Samsung, there might be some kind of Google smartwatch coming in 2022... perhaps. Or maybe other brand ones that perform better with Wear OS. So don't really want to buy something until I see what happens there. If I can't get this sorted I may go with something from Amazfit to be my wait-and-see wearable as they have decent cheaper options.

Side note, my wife's Fitbit Verse just popped apart last night while we were sitting watching TV. Had a good laugh at that! Looked like the adhesive between the screen and body gave way. Popped off some of the tiny ribbon cable connections. I got it back together, and the watch is still alive, but the screen isn't working. Looks like it actually broke either the ribbon cable or connections.

Anyway, been a rough weekend on the Lysrin Family wearables! 😀

chrisk

Folding Captain
Check out the XDA page for the Pixel 6. If there is an issue getting the Pebble to work in Bluetooth they might have insight as well.

Also, expect a bunch of fixes today with the update. If I were you I'd be tempted to update and then factory reset to get as fresh as possible.

JD

Staff member
Wonder if the WiFi "fixes" will improve the upload speed, I can get ~500Mbps download but only like ~200Mbps upload on WiFi 6. Very strange for it to be that unbalanced IMO.

Lysrin

It does have some quirks. Few apps too that worked fine on Android 12 on the Pixel 3 are a bit wonky on the Pixel 6. Weird.

And I am having limited success getting my Pebble up and running again, even with the Rebble system. That'll be a loss if I can't get that sorted.

Update: I'm out of luck on the Pebble. Can't think of anything else to try. The bluetooth on the phone itself can still see it, but the sideloaded APK from Rebble just can't seem to work. App launches but it spins trying to pair and the Pebble never shows up. Without that it's no go I'm afraid. Sucks...
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Went onto the rebble discord and just did some searching about Pixel 6 issues. Turns out uninstalls and reboots seemed to do the trick for most people. I did that last night, but perhaps not with the Pebble app removal in the sequence? Not sure but tonight it worked and the Pebble is alive again! I'm a happy man :D Rebble even supports the watchfaces and old Pebble app links.

Latest posts