What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plastic Repair

IRQ Conflict

My daughter brought me her laptop to repair. The plastic that once held the power connector to the side is no more. I was thinking fiberglass resin might do the trick? Ant suggestions?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The other day I had to fix a plastic drainage spout on my portable air conditioner. I used the two-stage LePage plastics glue from Home Depot and it worked surprisingly well. The seal was even water tight.

Basically, it comes with a pen applicator that acts as a "primer" and then you use the cement from the smaller tube.

IRQ Conflict

Sounds similar to the primer/glue I used in constructing an PVC irrigation system years ago. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep an eye out for the product.

Edit: This should do. Not the same but it's supposed to work well with hard plastics.

Last edited:

MacJunky

So far I have had good luck with automotive epoxy. Though the applicator gun is expensive and I am not sure of the epoxy's limits yet.
I never had any luck with JBWeld at all. But that may have just been extreme unreasonable situations.

Eldonko

Man I glued a mirror back on my car once that some douche busted off. Used JB Weld and it lasted through an AB winter before I sold it. Good stuff.

the_guitarboy

I repaired a hinge on my wife's laptop. The plastic casing was the actual support for the metal LCD hinge...dafuq?

I took a crappy tip, put it on my soldering iron and pretty much melted the 2 pieces together. It looks rather ugly but it's holding up no problem!

Canker

Just use the two part epoxy you mix up. You don't have to use the best epoxy out there, dollarama epoxy works fine. Use a little bit more to fill in gaps/provide support. Don't get any epoxy on circuit boards.

My daughter brought me her laptop to repair. The plastic that once held the power connector to the side is no more. I was thinking fiberglass resin might do the trick? Ant suggestions?

Latest posts

Twitter