What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Please help me choose...

somecanadianguy

I've been in need of a computer for quite some time, and now it looks like someone is going to help me get one.
My budget is $1500 - $2000 CAD. I'm willing to buy online if it'll save some money, so long as the site is reliable. I don't need a keyboard, or a mouse... and I may even try to get a monitor from a friend or something to save a little more $.

The main uses for this pc will be graphic design, 3d modeling, game design, image/video editing, gaming... makes me wish my budget was about 3 times bigger, but it's not.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to get what I need purchased within the next few days.

---------------------------
**edit**
I've placed my order...
Parts are on the way.
---------------------------

Last edited:

Digikid

Banned
I have a few important recommendations. Some people will disagree with but what from my experiences with them you would be wise to follow them.

1.) ONLY get Western Digital Hard Drives. They are the most reliable and the most cooler running of all motor controlled hard drives. Avoid Seagate until they get their heads out of the toilets. If you question this then please google the terms " Seagate Failure, Seagate Firmware Issues, Seagate Chirping, DOA Seagate".

2.) Now this is just a PERSONAL opinion but I also avoid OCZ memory. Have had LOADS of it being returned at my older workplace for various reasons. They MIGHT have improved....so it is a gray area there....I suggest either going with Mushkin, Corsair, G.Skill.

3.) Everyone knows that I have a severe hate for Asus. I stick with EVGA or Gigabyte for motherboards. DFI is iffy.....but I would suggest avoiding them as well.....same with MSI. Out of all of the motherboards....the EVGA ones and the Gigabyte ones are the most reliable and have great support whereas the support for the "avoided brands...well....sucks balls MAJOR!!!

Those are my recommendations. It is up to you if you wish to follow them or not. I sincerely hope this helps you out.

somecanadianguy

Thanks for the reply...

I've done some research on the different brands of components, but with all the different models from each manufacturer I'm having trouble deciding which to get. Is it worth it for me to spend $300+ on a MB?... $350+ on a good intel chip?... 300+ on a Vid Card?... Could I still get everything else I need and keep within my budget?

What's the best I could build for $1500 - $2000 CAD?

I'll likely be able to upgrade a little in a year or so... which parts could I save on by getting an older model?

somecanadianguy

I should add that this will not only be my first build, but it'll be the first computer I've owned. Up until this, I've been sharing computers... and though I have a pretty good understanding of how they work, and what's needed, I am a bit overwhelmed now that I have to buy all these things and build one.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
With 2k, I'd go for an i7 920 build, with the basic Gigabyte X58 board; 6gb of either Gskill or Mushkin ram, WD HDDs, and a GTX 285.

Digikid

Banned
^^ Sounds good.

I think that the Geforce 285 is overkill though.....I think that a Core 216 will do him better money wise.

somecanadianguy

That looks pretty good... I'm liking what I read about the i7 chips (except for the price), and the GTX 285 looks good. I'll definately be getting an WD harddrive since everyone says good things about them, and my WD 250gig external works great.

What about the other stuff? Cooling... case... ect.
Any recommendations?

I can go as high as $2000 CAD (including taxes/shipping/whatever), but I'd like to spend less of course... without sacrificing performance.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
No problem building a 2k rig with an i7. As for a case, I'd go for a P182. Good airflow, plenty of space. Missing a PSU: Corsair TX650W.

Latest posts