What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Please help! PC hangs on black screen

Messy

Not even one from another PC? Fair enough. Just be sure that the one it replaces (the whatever in there right now) isn't some weird form factor that can't be reused if you decide to change the case. As long as it's a standard ATX PSU it'll be useful in almost anything. Or, you know, use it to test and return it? Hah.

Yeah this is the only desktop at home currently :(
I will get a ATX 600W PSU to test it out and if it doesn't work, maybe i will use it in the new build.

However, could it be problem caused by faulty RAM or GPU? Because my PC didnt turn off completely, all the fans and RGB still remains on.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I can hear beeping sound when it first startup and no was heard when it hangs on black screen

Ah ha! You didn't mention beeps! Check out your motherboard manufacturer + the number of beeps you hear. Beeps = motherboard isn't completely dead. So there may be some hope still (don't buy the PSU yet). The beep code *could* point towards ram or GPU issues. So check it out and get back to us.

Messy

Ah ha! You didn't mention beeps! Check out your motherboard manufacturer + the number of beeps you hear. Beeps = motherboard isn't completely dead. So there may be some hope still (don't buy the PSU yet). The beep code *could* point towards ram or GPU issues. So check it out and get back to us.

OMG i didn't know that the beeping sound actually indicates something.
Thanks a lot for pointing that out ^^
I am not sure what motherboard model it is but its a MATX motherboard that look exactly like this:

1576825543122.png

and with this CPU:

1576825624002.png

RAM:

1576825680784.png

GPU:

1576825709572.png

Messy

Guys,

I found a beep code list that may help to diagnostic the error.
Beep Codes Table:
Laptops
1 Possible Motherboard (covers BIOS corruption or ROM error)
2 No RAM detected
3 Possible Motherboard Chipset
4 RAM failure (other)
5 CMOS Battery
6 Video card/chip
7 CPU
8 LCD

Desktops
1 Possible Motherboard (covers BIOS corruption or ROM error)
2 No RAM detected
3 Possible Motherboard Chipset
4 RAM failure (other)
5 Real Time Clock (RTC)
6 Video card/chip
7 CPU

Here is the list in case anyone is curious.

I will go back home tonight and pay attention to how many beeps my desktop is producing and update you guys.

***UPDATE***

I have tried to start my system and only heard 1 short beep. Went to did some research, found out that 1 short beep is actually normal to indicate the motherboard boot up success. The beep codes with error are supposed to be long beeps instead of short ones like mine. I guess? not sure if im getting the correct information.

Nonetheless, i tried to see if my HDD actually stopped working that may cause this problem and it was actually still spinning while the system hangs. Yes, spinning HDD does not mean that it is working in good condition. But I can hear something pretty obvious that sounded like either a fan slowing down in speed significantly or a fan just suddenly stopped spinning. Went to check on my CPU cooling and GPU fans, both are working fine. However, im not sure if my PSU fan is still working as the exhaust is very minimum even during the short few minutes while it boots up into desktop.

And i tried to start the system without powering my GPU and i managed to hear 6 long beeping sound which indicate problem with video card. So im really not sure which component is causing this problem...

Last edited:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hmm. So a single beep would and Should mean everything is okay. But you still see *nothing* on screen? Tried different monitors? Check monitor inputs? Different GPU? If your motherboard has an onboard GPU you could try that without the add-in discrete card, but I don't think that one does. All you can really do is strip back parts and swap parts.. which is much more difficult if you don't have spare parts.

Messy

Hmm. So a single beep would and Should mean everything is okay. But you still see *nothing* on screen? Tried different monitors? Check monitor inputs? Different GPU? If your motherboard has an onboard GPU you could try that without the add-in discrete card, but I don't think that one does. All you can really do is strip back parts and swap parts.. which is much more difficult if you don't have spare parts.

Yup when i turn my PC on, it either goes into desktop and hang on black screen after less than 5 minutes or it just hangs on black screen without it even booting into the desktop. I think my monitor is working fine as when it hangs, my keyboard is not responding as well. By that i mean the caps lock key and num lock is all not responsive

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yup when i turn my PC on, it either goes into desktop and hang on black screen after less than 5 minutes or it just hangs on black screen without it even booting into the desktop. I think my monitor is working fine as when it hangs, my keyboard is not responding as well. By that i mean the caps lock key and num lock is all not responsive

Hang on hang on. So it does post sometimes and reaches the Windows loading screen?? That's 100% different from a PC that doesn't post at all. No post = Nothing appears on screen absolutely every time to try to turn it on.
If you get to windows loading *sometimes*, then it could be:
- corrupt disk/ HDDs broken
- overheating
- bad ram (although you'd probably see more blue screens than hard lock ups for bad ram)
- damages or problems with Southbridge (which connects to your hard drives normally)
- bad caps in the mobo or PSU.
Note that that last possibly is still on the list. Bad caps sometimes Never work properly again, but I've seen cases where the caps will work okay for a little while, Then become problematic with heat or charges or something similar, causing the lock ups.

How about you describe absolutely everything you know about the problem so far and we'll see if we can narrow it down more with all the details in front of us.

Latest posts