What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex 5.1 to 2.1 issue

clshades

Plex stuff...

Googled around, apparently it's an on going issue for many people. It's easy to sort out playback on a computer because I can force 2.0 or 2.1. not as many options in most TVs sadly.

Same old story, 5.1 is being presented to a 2.1 soundbar/sub setup. My options are, convert all 5.1 movies to 2.1.

Or

Is there a device I can add to the mix that does it on the fly? If so what issues could I have depending on the audio used in the encoding of the file?

Probably gonna be easier to convert files? Is that even possible? I'm assuming handbrake for software? Storage is not an issue.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
isnt there a option within plex to transcode the audio swear i seen this when i was uing it via my phone to my plex server while im at work and on the shield.

crazyea

Plex transcodes alll multi channel formats unless it is DTS as far as I know. Before you go converting anything, look for a dts track and select that.

clshades

No, what Plex does is mix all the channels down to their "2.1", which is a mish mash of 5.1 and the dialogue (center) channel it's completely effd. So I'm constantly turning the volume up and down.

I was reading about it into the wee hours of the morning, the problem being, computers, tablets, phones have more options for audio than a tv.

Also some forum members are saying to download movies that have 5.1 and stereo combination.

I'm not seeing any audio options in Plex anymore. Their used to be some options.

clshades

The audio options are on the client side. Which client are you using?
roku built into the TV. I figured out part of it. Dolby Digital actually works better. IF you can find a rip that has 5.1 and 2.1 audio built in, plex will do the rest. DTS actually causes more problems unless you do passthrough with a receiver that supports it. At that point you're probably doing 5.1 anyway.

crazyea

I think it's entirely down to what the client can do. I am not having any issues from my Apple Tv to my Samsung. No receiver in between.

Attachments

• DTS51.png
    DTS51.png
    571.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DTS51_2.PNG
    DTS51_2.PNG
    591.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DTS71.png
    DTS71.png
    659 KB · Views: 1

crazyea

Apple TV and iPhone play everything direct pretty much. The PS5 and XBOX can play DTS but it has to be transcoded. When I changed the setting to AC3 in the app, it was then able to direct play.

Side Note: The xbox one s had zero issues playing any bitrate on Wifi. The PS5 struggle to play high bitrate on ethernet. It constantly buffered. Transcoding through my pc to a lower bitrate was ok. Weird. Probably because its using direct stream and not direct play.

Attachments

• DTS.PNG
    DTS.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • DTS2.PNG
    DTS2.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3