What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex Build

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Plex Build

Hey guys I'm building a new server my duel socket and was crazy power hungry fiancé did not like power bill.

This is a new build I'm just having trouble finding the length of the psu and if it'd fit in my silverstone gd08 pcpartpicker.com doesn't list it anymore.

Plex
1. 7820x delidded LMed
2. Asus x299 Sage 10g
3. 64gb 4x16gb corsair dominator plat 3200mhz
4. Silverstone Gd08
5. Evga 1600 watt T2
6. 4x16 TB Seagate Exos
7. Intel 3700dc 1.6gb pcie ssd
8. Lsi Raid (suggestion)

Attachments

• mMMmkCr.jpg
    mMMmkCr.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 62

supaflyx3

A dell perc H200 flashed to LSI IT mode firmware is the go to HBA, and is really cheap on ebay. That hardware is major overkill for a plex server though, an i3 8100 & 8gb of RAM would be a good option but im guessing you already have the hardware on hand. With that much RAM available I'd suggest setting up a RAM disk to use as a transcode directory to reduce writes to your SSD, and also speed it up a bit. What OS are you planning on using? My plex server is running on a CentOS VM on esxi with 64gb of RAM for transcoding & a quadro P600 passed through for hardware transcoding.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Was thinking win 10 Ent since I'm still playing with Linux learning the ropes on getting drivers installed and not black screening afterwards.

That was doing to be the other question about using ramdisk for transcodes.

Chalaska

Wow pretty pricey parts. I built my own plex server about a year ago and I ended up with an 8700k. I'm not sure why you will need all the threads, if you are offloading transcoding to the GPU (the P2000) then you won't need any real CPU power aside from general processing.

Here's a few notes:
Look into Unraid, it's cheap and works very well.

Maybe consider a Ryzen 3 platform if you are intent on using the P2000 GPU for transcoding
If you are doing HW transcode, you could instead go with a 9700K series CPU as you can transcode with Quicksync (I do this and have tested 4-6 4k->1080p) transcodes. This allows you to drop the P2000 GPU.

4K HDR -> SDR transcodes do not work very well right now (especially with Plex) as tonemapping isn't supported with Plex currently. (Picture ends up grey).

Latest posts