What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex from WD Essentials and Router?

FreeKnight

My main rig is basically just a plex server now. I use my Ncase build for pretty much everything. But I'm wondering if, in the interest of saving electricity, I can use my router (ASUS RT-AC3100) with a WD essentials 10 TB drive via the USB 3.0 and have everything stream from there without the PC? Or would I need a NAS/Plex drive connected to the RT-3100?

I'm suspecting there's no way it's that easy, but if it is an option, I could part out the main rig too. If not I may look at a NAS drive if that's the best option.

Entz

Your router wont be able to act as the Plex service or do any trans-coding (or at least I haven't seen one that can, most don't have the CPU for it). You will be able to access the files over the network though, it will in simple terms just expose them as a network share you can consume.

Does whatever you were using to connect to the plex server have the ability to access network files directly. i.e. Something like Kodi ?

FreeKnight

Your router wont be able to act as the Plex service or do any trans-coding (or at least I haven't seen one that can, most don't have the CPU for it). You will be able to access the files over the network though, it will in simple terms just expose them as a network share you can consume.

Does whatever you were using to connect to the plex server have the ability to access network files directly. i.e. Something like Kodi ?
I'm usually using either a Roku Premier +, but could use my NCase PC (which I have when I travel), I suppose I could just set them as network access files and use the PC, a little more cumbersome than the roku, but still an option.

Entz

Yeah it doesn't look like Roku can run it. There is a media playing app that may be able to see files on the network but I am not exactly sure of its limitations (like maybe it needs DLNA). I guess the simple test would be to throw a file on a thumb drive and put it in your router and turn off your PC and see if it works.

JD

Staff member
If you switch to the SHIELD TV, it is able to be a Plex Server. The Netgear Nighthawk X10 is the only router I know of that supported running a Plex Server on itself, but it's pretty old now so not sure that's an option. Beyond that, you're looking at a NAS or PC running it.

FreeKnight

If you switch to the SHIELD TV, it is able to be a Plex Server. The Netgear Nighthawk X10 is the only router I know of that supported running a Plex Server on itself, but it's pretty old now so not sure that's an option. Beyond that, you're looking at a NAS or PC running it.
I've had a price alert set for the new Shield Pro, so if one drops cheap enough I might look into one. Since I have the ncase build I'm not 100% sure if I'd really need it for much else, but it's something to consider at least.

I'll probably just look into a Plex friendly NAS. I just cant see a Z97 build with a 4690k as an energy efficient media server :S

Entz

If your external drive is self powered you could even use a raspberry pi. The biggest issue is really transcoding. If that isn't something you need it doesn't take much.

(edit: use not due)

Shadowmeph

If your external drive is self powered you could even use a raspberry pi. The biggest issue is really transcoding. If that isn't something you need it doesn't take much.

(edit: use not due)
that is what I am doing I have my raspi 4 librelec and I have a HD connected to my router and watch videos off of it via raspi and also from my other PCs and laptop so far no issues with it. I have my larger movies on a PC which I rarely use but all my TV shows are on the hd attached to my router

Twitter