What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Plex server build questions.

implosion222

Hey Crazy,

I'm using a DS918 as my plex server and I haven't had any issues. I'm using one of your drives that you sold me actually haha.

clshades

Yes, that's exactly what I said. They use quicksync on the igpu. Right now I am doing this on my main pc. But if I put the CPU into the Alienware r11 they have disabled the igpu. That's why I would need the p2200 as its pretty much the only thing in stock and highly recommended for plex.

Also, I am not reencoding the files and then storing them, I use quicksync to transcode to 720p in real time because I use the full res in my home using directly play mostly.

You've misunderstood my post. A 1030 will transcode just fine if you're using hardware based transcoding. You don't need a 600 dollar video card. The cpu can handle it regardless of the igpu option. The p2000 I used barely flinched with either option because the cpu does most of the heavy lifting.

crazyea

You've misunderstood my post. A 1030 will transcode just fine if you're using hardware based transcoding. You don't need a 600 dollar video card. The cpu can handle it regardless of the igpu option. The p2000 I used barely flinched with either option because the cpu does most of the heavy lifting.
I understand that the cpu can do transcoding itself using software. I read that a 1030 is not desirable because it doesnt have nvenc. The reason I want hardware like quicksync or nvenc is for hdr tonemapping. I tried using this with sofwtare on my 10900 and it just eats up the cpu as does a lot of the x265 files I have. I have also noticed that using the cpu alone will cause buffering to the clients and then I get calls and complaints. I can have a mix of 10 or so family members using my server with a mix of direct and transcoded files.

crazyea

But when it's basically a small increment above the igpu, but without the ability to match the hardware transcoding, the price doesn't make sense for me. At least not for it's intended purpose in my case.

Dwayne

I have a Synology DS218+ and it does well as a Plex server for our house. Only 2 of us, and we don't do a lot of streaming from it, but it does work without a problem with our Roku and Samsung TV. Bought the NAS as a file server and backup machine, so using it for Plex and media serving is a bonus.

rjbarker

^^^^ Good to know Dwayne.....I just about hit "purchase" for the 720+ anout a month ago and 2 Iron Wolf 4T HDD......found out my new GPU was available so didnt bother. Now Im looking at the 220+...
Been feeling a little torn between 720+ and 220+ ...

Latest posts