What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

POE Switch?

bastone7

:punk:I'm looking to install in my home IP Cameras(4) and Volp phones(3), my question is do I need to purchase one switch. Or do I need 2 switches, one for IP cameras and one for Volp phones.

Please help

If you also have a diagram please let me know.

KaptCrunch

then you need an 8 port unless you want separate network with 2x 4 ports units

other is what voltage are camera's 12v or 24v need to match PSU

camera POE Switch is router with PSU to power camera's

bastone7

camera POE Switch is router with PSU to power camera's

Great info. I haven't purchased any cameras or phones. Looks like I should purchase them first before I pickup a POE switch.

Thanks

BlueByte

Look at the draw of each device, POE switches have a max wattage draw for the whole switch. Not knowing how much you want to spend you MIGHT come out cheaper buying injectors for the cameras and wall warts for the phones. The POE is a nice way to go but can be costly. Also you will want a seperate VLAN if you are running the phones and camera's together on the same switch/network. The Cameras and your regular LAN are fine together, VOIP can be picky so usually gets its own VLAN.

KaptCrunch

Great info. I haven't purchased any cameras or phones. Looks like I should purchase them first before I pickup a POE switch.

Thanks

also calculate total amps draw of all camera's so that psu isn't under powerd

have more amps on psu then combined camera's

Daedalus2002

Get a POE switch that supports VLANS and QOS. As mentioned before calculate how much power you're going to need to make sure that the switch can deliver that much. A switch like that can get expensive pretty quickly though, so power injectors for the cameras/phones may be more cost effective than the POE option. You will need to figure out the cost of running power to the remote locations and balance that off with a switch that supports POE instead.

You would put the phones on their own vlan and have QOS running on that to prioritize the traffic.

bastone7

Great info but a little complicated to a newbie.

You guys oviously have way more experience in this.

Can you reccomend the equipment that I need?

What about a diagram, it would make things much easier to understand.

Last edited:

tangrisser

To answer your questions, you will need to decide how you want to set it up. You can set it up in a single network or separate network.

I'm just going to quickly summarize what everyone is saying

camera POE Switch[/B] is router with PSU to power camera's

I'm pretty sure what he means to say is watts not voltage. There are PoE which provides about 13W and PoE+ which provides about 25W; beware there are some non-standard that may provide less power than the standard.

Many consumer level switches do not have sufficient wattage or Amperage as manufacturers anticipate the switch will have only a few devices attached to the switch.

Look at the draw of each device, POE switches have a max wattage draw for the whole switch. Not knowing how much you want to spend you MIGHT come out cheaper buying injectors for the cameras and wall warts for the phones. The POE is a nice way to go but can be costly. Also you will want a seperate VLAN if you are running the phones and camera's together on the same switch/network. The Cameras and your regular LAN are fine together, VOIP can be picky so usually gets its own VLAN.

PoE injectors look something like this:
http://products.ncix.com/detail/trendnet-tpe-113gi-gigabit-power-over-bb-70651-1083.htm

It sits between a switch and the PoE device to provide power via adapter. It could end up being cheaper but you could also end up with a LOT of adapters and power bars. This is a great solution when you need a couple of PoE devices. I'm not sure I would recommend it based on number of devices you mentioned.

Get a POE switch that supports VLANS and QOS. As mentioned before calculate how much power you're going to need to make sure that the switch can deliver that much. A switch like that can get expensive pretty quickly though, so power injectors for the cameras/phones may be more cost effective than the POE option. You will need to figure out the cost of running power to the remote locations and balance that off with a switch that supports POE instead.

You would put the phones on their own vlan and have QOS running on that to prioritize the traffic.

VLAN is a technology built into a switch typically managed or at least Smart switches that create 'virtual' LAN. So you can set up subnets of network using a single switch. For example, I have 6 computers in Lab A, 8 computers in Lab B and 4 computers in Lab C. You can connect them all into one switch and then create VLAN so they are in a network based on the Lab. QoS is technology used to manage which device or network has priority. Both features are extremely useful and I highly recommend them if you can afford a device that supports it.

You would be looking at something like this based on what others say:
http://netgear.com/images/pdf/GS516TP_GS728TP_GS728TPP_GS752TP_DS_20Sep13.pdf

It's a 24 port switch with PoE, QoS and VLAN capability. Another option is to buy a switch specifically for PoE like FS728TP (should be a little bit cheaper since it's 10/100) and then connect this with a smaller Gigabit switch.

All in all, I anticipate you will have number of devices including non-PoE devices and I would recommend something like a GS728TP.

Latest posts