What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Poll: What would/do you do to drive fps up in games?

What would you do to get desired fps?

• Drop some settings

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • GPU scaling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run a lower resolution

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bond007

Per the title, I am not asking about a specific game or having any issues. What I am is curious how you handle needing a bit more fps in a world of increasing pixels. Whether you are getting 50fps and want 60, or have 90 and 120, my question is the same.

What do you do as a first step to drive up fps?

For me, since going to 1440p, the first thing I do is ditch AA. At this resolution I don’t find I notice it much, if at all.

Entz

I would drop settings. As you say AA is a huge one. Sometimes environment detail ( I don't need perfect grass etc) or view distance. Rarely texture quality unless it is a vram thing.

I never drop resolution. DLSS is intriguing though. It would be something I would consider trying if it worked well for the game but my card doesn't support it and the next one hopefully wont need it for a bit (lol)

Shadowarez

Folding Team
iv increased priority from normal to high. i had to for Destiny 2 on my 9900k system or else it would crash with a broccoli error. and AA/Shadow quailty. was huge.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Lowering settings, resolution and especially fps caps/refresh rates have fairly easily noticable difference in performance without making games look very different. So when I switch from 1440p @ 144fps to 1080p @ 75fps (freesync), the game looks pretty much the exact same and the GPU workload is lessened greatly.

Prickly007

Depends on the game; I'll just cap the frame rate at 30 fps for some, otherwise play with settings (i.e. grass) or turn off in-game AA in favour of DSR and/or injecting alternate forms of AA.

In the case of GTA V, I opted for belgolas' solution. Didn't play it until I replaced the GTX 970 with a 1080 Ti. Might do the same with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Bond007

Depends on the game; I'll just cap the frame rate at 30 fps for some, otherwise play with settings (i.e. grass) or turn off in-game AA in favour of DSR and/or injecting alternate forms of AA.

In the case of GTA V, I opted for belgolas' solution. Didn't play it until I replaced the GTX 970 with a 1080 Ti. Might do the same with Red Dead Redemption 2.

cap of 30fps?!?

On2wheels

I voted drop settings, but sometimes I'll run it in a lower res 1080p window depending on the game and how close I need to be to the screen. Some immersive games should be played full screen, so for those I'll drop settings if I absolutely need 60fps.
If that doesnt work I start looking at upgrades...

Izerous

Folding Team
Just about everything I have tried runs @4k 59/60 FPS with my current setup. If I notice any dips in framerates I start buy turning down AA settings first since they are not as necessary or noticeable @4k resolutions.