What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Poor performance for seemingly no reason...

SyntaxNation

Long story short, in comparison to similar systems my gaming performance is beyond poor.
I have stuttering and massive frame rate drops in Skyrim, Fallout 4 and DOOM.
I need to say that this is only new, ever since I had to replace my power supply and GPU after the power supply failed spectacularly.
I used to run DOOM at Ultra with fairly stable frame rate, now I can barely run it at high at 60fps.
Fallout 4 stutters and I can get 60fps on Medium settings, as long as I don't move.
Skyrim is just painful at anything above Low.
This is at 1080p, not 1440p or 4k.

I have seen very very similar systems (including one of the most recent Hardware Canucks $1000 MSI/AMD build) get better performance than my overclocked system.
I have no idea what is going on or even where to start!

System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4Ghz
GPU: MSI RX580 8GB
MB: MSI B350M Gaming Pro
PSU: CoolerMaser RM750X
RAM: HyperX 2666Mhz

If any more infomation is needed to give a better insight, please let me know

JD

Staff member
Have you tried running stock settings instead? It could be an unstable OC causing the odd performance.

What version of Windows? What antivirus? Any recent software changes?

SyntaxNation

Shadowmeph: I have done a clean install of the drivers after getting the new GPU, however I will not discount this, I will look into it.

JD: OS is Windows 10 Build 1803 (from memory, I will check when I get home), AV is avast! AntiVirus, updated to recent version.
As far as recent software changes, the only major changes were: Install of Fallout 4, Skyrim, mods for Skyrim, removing Skyrim and mods, updating drivers, mods to optimise FO4, uninstalling it and mods, and then trying to get some diagnotic software to find out what it wrong.

From what I could tell the OC was pretty stable (at least according to FurMark and Prime95), but I will try a clean install of the games and drivers and report back

clshades

Make sure your ram is installed in the correct slots for max performance too. Most boards can't just be what ever slots you want.

SyntaxNation

It looking like it was the drivers, used DDU and started with an old set, as the new drivers may of been the problem.

clshades: What I didn't mention was the RAM is a 2x8GB kit, and MSI B350M Gaming Pro only has 2 slots, so not a lot I can get wrong there ;)

Latest posts

Twitter